My build progress

Ok, no idea what that means. If you’ll pardon a DAQ?

3 Likes

There are both water and oil based polyurethanes.

3 Likes

Tried and True is a brand of natural wood finishes. I like their original finish, which is polymerized linseed oil (no metallic drying agents added) and bees wax. Milk paint is paint that comes in powder form made from milk casein and pigments for color. Just add water. It is what was commonly used before acrylic paint came on the market. It is more difficult to use, and you have to use it quickly once you mix it, but it creates a more durable finish than acrylic.

6 Likes

Ah! Thanks.
So the beeswax is like Danish Oil and the powder paint sounds interesting. I’m off for a Google.
Edit: I like the finish of milk paint and making it is no more difficult than the egg gesso I used to make for canvas. Cheers.

3 Likes

I’ll have to look at the poly I used, but I’m pretty pleased with the finish on mine. I didn’t do a “french polish” because I ran out of patience.

Wood finishing is a topic that could easily have its own thread - but in my experience getting a really ‘nice’ finish is a matter of ‘climbing the sandpaper ladder’. Start with low grit numbers and sand everything down, clean off, apply your chosen varnish then go to the next step up like 100 grit and repeat ad nauseum. The more times you do this and the finer you go the shinier your surface will be.

4 Likes

got my 3 new euro rack cases together will start sanding finishing tomorrow .

16 Likes

Always jealous of proper work space.
Now, that clamp shelf needs a piezo pickup!

3 Likes

My diy-case seems to be about the right size, I managed to fix my power supply (who would’ve guessed that completely shorted power rail burns the regulator eventually) and I have most of the components for those for modules.

14 Likes

I do love the look of freshly painted black ply. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Except that isn’t painted or plywood, it’s solid wood panels with tinted oil applied. Or, I don’t know the proper term for them, anyway, flat wooden objects made from planks glued next to each other, not as thin sheets laminated on top of each other.

8 Likes

One down, six to go

16 Likes

I got a polyurethane varnish that said it was clear, turned out a bit yellow, I thought it was water based but it wasn’t, found out when I went to wash the brush.

Could I sand it back and put on a water based varnish and maybe a white wash before?

3 Likes

One can always sand!

4 Likes

sanding that stuff is not fun

3 Likes

What a depressing thought!

5 Likes

3 new 2 row euro rack cases just have to finish up the 3rd power supply and they are ready to go . they are replacing the single 5 row rack .

15 Likes

I didnt say it would be fun - but unless you make a huge gouge, you can save a lot of things with sanding.

4 Likes

Active Real Ring Modulator

18 Likes

Did you want the wood look, or would just painting over it work? Just trying to think of simple solution here.

1 Like

My first though when I saw your picture was the somebody didn’t build enough blanket forts when they were a kid!
Looks brilliant!

4 Likes