My build progress

Aion DIY Guitar effects makes really nice PCB kits, but who wants a bunch of little boxes on the floor?

I spent my weekend putting these kits behind a Kosmo panel. The first 2 kits, a Boss FA-1 and a OD-1 clone, are done and sounding great. I’m still waiting on a few parts to make the HM-2 clone work.

These Aion kits all called for opamps I don’t keep on hand to be close to the “originals”. (LM1458, LM348N, 2N5088)… I’ve just been tossing in TL072’s. Sounds just fine to me.

I left the other components as is in the kits, so my guitar playin buddy can just plug in when he comes over. I’ve been using a passive attenuator before an a Barton BMC30 after for my Kosmo stuff.

6 Likes

I love how Colin just melts into his synth and the music! He also has his very own style, not the typical atmospheric or synthwave-like doodling, simply different and refreshing.

2 Likes

I designed a Paper Circuit based on the Ultrasound Filters from ciat-lonbarde’s Plumbutter.

Build progress on it!

7 Likes

Supercool, where can i download the picture and the BOM ?

1 Like

With the good news of this morning, I was able to finish the conversion Eurorack to Kosmo format of the @moritzklein’s present : the Klein diode filter

11 Likes

After I test this one that I am finishing up today, I will post the PDF :slight_smile:
Need to verify it works as intended!

2 Likes

I am very excited !!

1 Like

update - i gotta adjust some values but it very much works. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

so I am working on a cheaper alternative to aluminum rack rail this looks promising so far the only problem I am running into is modules that the component pcb’s are less than 10 mm from center of mounting holes
8mm is as close as I can be before I have to start " modifying " holes on face panels and filing the edges of pcb’s to try and gain a little more clearance .

6 Likes

These look amazing!!! I’m a big fan of oval mounting holes and I put them on all of my panels. I do it more just in case I screw up my math when placing them in kiCad. I inherited a router recently from a friends father but I still need to learn how to use it. :frowning:

4 Likes

Nice jig! It’s amazing what you can do when you spend the effort getting the right setup.

3 Likes

I’m going on the road again so I have to step back from building for a while, but wanted to post what I’ve got so far. 12 modules done, a few just need a little tweak here or there, but it’s nearly a full box!

13 Likes

Here is my first DIY attempt at building a Kosmo rack. Plus a couple of modules.

8 Likes

Looks and sounds great!

1 Like

How’s this for a neat little shop upgrade: added a rack for the test leads and a bin for those pesky off-cuts.

6 Likes

That rack is such a good idea! Off to thingiverse now…

2 Likes

That looks like one heavy duty table light! Something you made yourself, no doubt.

Hah! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: it’s actually a fume extractor with, as you presumed correctly, some homegrown lighting in it :grin:

1 Like

@TimMJN thanks for the idea!

Today I finished the pesky MS-20 filter, turns out that the 13700 wasn’t pushed into its socket, there were a couple of dud resistors, and the output jack wasn’t wired into the resonance pot, etc etc.

I also soldered up one of my noise generator boards which worked first try.
Demo with noise generator filtered with the MS-20 stripboard:

Some good rain and wind sounds.

7 Likes

Scottish weather generator :rofl:
this would make a nice sizzle for hihat or cymbal sound .

3 Likes