Music share thread - Share your work!

YES! Thank you - I was kinda going for a Stairs and Flowers sound (from Skinny Puppy’s Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse [1986])

I am a huge Skinny Puppy fan lol.

2 Likes

I like this a lot! I was watching a video today in which Dr Mix was trying to cover another great track by Georgio Moroder: I feel Love (vocals Donna Summer). It turned out to be everything but easy to imitate the original sounds!

1 Like

thanks, it’s allways interesting to read this sort of article
i’had recording my cover with my modular in one track, it will be interesting to record each sequence one by one (overdub) for more possibility .

2 Likes

thanks Jos, Dr Mix try to do the same sound of original in his cover with analyse sound, and he make each time a good job.

2 Likes

Here’s an experiment in using the Moog Theremini to control the Crave via CV out from the pitch antenna. I think you can get enough from this to see how easily you can change the texture of the sound simply by waving your right hand in the sound field. It also demonstrates, with arguable success, using the volume antenna to control the sound output of the Theremini itself. When my left hand is close to the loop antenna this effectively mutes the Theremini’s oscillator, so most of the time you’re hearing only the Crave.

Here’s a photograph of the Crave patch.

5 Likes

That is awesome! For £150 it’s hard not to get your money’s worth out of the Crave in the first sitting, isn’t it? It just sounds so much better than a piece of kit at that price point has a right to!

3 Likes

Believe me, I’ve barely touched the possibilities of the Crave. In particular, that filter is just gorgeous.

Another thing I’d like to try with the Theremini is to work out how to use the volume antenna as a trigger to start and stop the sequencer, enabling me to accompany myself on the Theremin. There are videos of people using the gate output of some advanced Moog Etherwave theremins to do something like this, but to get the Theremini to do something similar may require ingenuity.

2 Likes

My etherwave plus is not to dissimilar to the mini in that respect the issue is making your synth understand its a gate you need. Using MIDI or making a gate foot pedal could do a better job for performance.

2 Likes

Yeah, if it puts out a CV relative to proximity to the antennae then you should be able to start it with that, but my guess is (on the Crave) you’d have to keep your hand within the triggering range of the theremin in order to keep the sequencer running. Try plugging the triangle LFO out into the PLAY/STOP in to see the effect. The other thing to keep an eye on is that Moog is fond of those negative voltages for v/oct, so you’d want to make sure what you put out from the Theremini didn’t accidentally send -5v into the Crave.

@Maxhirez makes a very good point about voltages from Moog equipment. As I have already noted here I’m somewhat cautious when linking kit. A little buffer box or a vactrol project is quick and mitigates any concern. There are tolerances in behringer kit but for the money they’re unlikely to be generous.
There I go again! Worry not. As you were.

I checked the Crave specifications before messing with CV. All inputs are -5V to +5V, with the gates requiring over +3.2V. The Theremini can output a proper voltage of 5V or 10V, software selectable, scalable and offsetable.

1 Like

You’ve correctly identified the issue. I think it quite likely that MIDI may be the way to go, but I want to investigate the potential of CV first.

Etherwave Plus has a dedicated gate output, I believe. Theremini has only one CV output, albeit quite easily assignable and adjustable due to the instrument’s digital design.

Perhaps a foot stomp would appeal to a guitarist or keyboard player, or to any more practically minded person. I’m attracted to the idea of controlling everything through the antennae, though, it’s what draws me to the instrument in the first place. The full extent of my performance experience at present is limited to the very brief vignettes I’ve put on YouTube and posted here.

1 Like

Well… in that case can I suggest a voltage trigger with a zener diode connected to a transistor so it will only switch on when it reaches the zener voltage. That way, if you set the voltage high enough you cold play the mini on it’s own at a low to mid volume and open the gate when you play louder. A conductors left hand upbeat to begin/open the gate and pause/close the gate by lowering the volume. Id love to see what you do.
Btw controlling filters, resonance, lfo’s etc with a theremin is tremendous fun too.

2 Likes

With any of these approaches one thing to keep in mind that my experiments last night revealed is that the sequencer play/stop has to remain high to keep the sequence playing-it doesn’t seem to latch internally. I assume that means that if you trigger it with the antennae, it wouldn’t really be freeing up a hand to play the RockBand keyboard at any distance from the Theremini.

2 Likes

You could gate the clock (like with a vca) going to the sequencer which would generate a pause rather than a reset. Like using an lfo or a drum to clock a baby8, step each pulse. The combinations are only limited by what you patch. (And how many modules you have/build - thank god for vcv rack when you have an idea to test)

If the theremin’s volume is high enough the gate should stay open.

2 Likes

Sorry, just thought; either the theremin or Mic using a clap-on-clap-off circuit for a gate? My apologies, my brain will keep feeding me suggestions until I make it, stick it in a notebook or get distr SQUIRREL!

3 Likes

Those are great ideas which I’ll investigate in time. At the moment I’m still struggling through a learning process to get the Crave’s VCO to track the pitch antenna CV out. Last night I experimented with using the LFO to generate a primitive rhythm while the pitch CV controlled the VCO. This was fun, but not particularly musical because I haven’t yet solved the basics of tuning on the Crave.

2 Likes

On the rock band keyboard, by toggling a button on the console while in MIDI mode it’s very easy to split the keyboard so that the lower octave sends commands to a different MIDI channel. It’s used for a General Midi percussion preset. The open source wireless driver mimics this behaviour but there’s no reason why it can’t be programmed to send any signals the user wants. This thought had occurred to me before.

2 Likes

Guitar shop jam

9 Likes

really cool, good sound !!!

2 Likes