Module cross talk?

hi there! Im experiencing an issue that’s left me stumped. My vco’s seem to work fine when my other modules are plugged in save for a Pittsburgh modular reverb unit and an MI kinks which when plugged in causes the sound to begin to distort/ modulate. No patches just modules plugged into the power supply with headphones plugged in an output on a vco. The vco’s are based off of simple vco and caustics vco. Is it cross talk? are my other modules broken? Anybody have any ideas?
Thank you!

2 Likes

Could it be that your power supply is not up to the task and that plugging in the reverb causes the voltage to drop which influences the VCOs? Try and measure the output voltages of the power supply when you plug the reverb in and out.

One more thing, it is a bit uncustomary to plug a headphone into a vco. The vco is not build to drive a headphone and this in itself can lead to the output signal of the vco to not sound as it should. Better put a mixer with a headphone output between the vco and your headphone.

5 Likes

It does sound like a power supply limit problem. Per modulargrid, the Kinks draws 25 mA on each rail, so that seems unlikely to cause trouble unless the PS is already right on the edge. On the other hand, the PM Verbtronic (if that’s what you refer to) draws 100 mA on +12 V and 30 mA on -12 V, and while that by itself wouldn’t be likely to cause problems, it’s large enough to be plausible in combination with several other modules. Do you get the distortion if nothing but the VCO and reverb are plugged in, or do other modules need to be there too? Try swapping various modules and see if things correlate with the current requirements listed on modulargrid.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the info! I ended up isolating the diy modules from the euro modules and they all seem to be content for the most part. cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like