MFOS Sequencer --->>> KOSMO Format

I dug out my MFOS 16 Step Sequencer that I built many a year a go. It seems that I have ratted pots and switches from it for other projects. Anyway I think I am going to try to rebuild it in KOSMO Format. I am not sure if anyone else has done it before but that is half the fun. Give it a go…What’s the worst that could happen. Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. Chris from Aus.

2 Likes

I found a panel layout on the MFOS site and have slightly modified it to KOSMO specs. I hope.

6 Likes

Watch out for the space needed at the top and bottom to clear the rails. Looks like you are preeeeetty tight there at the bottom and top definitely going to cause problems

2 Likes

Yeah. See:

Likewise that’s the maximum for panel-mounted components. (Which are of course bigger than their mounting holes.)

3 Likes

I see what you guys mean. Getting it down to 175mm is going to be an issue. I will have a look around and see if I can find another version of the panel. Re designing the panel is not my forte.

2 Likes

Short of using 9 mm pots with really tiny knobs closely spaced, I’d say getting four pots, two jacks, and two switches into a 175 mm column is not gonna happen.

You could put steps 9–16 to the right of steps 1–8, but that would make for a very very wide module — at least 60 cm wide, I’d say. Maybe 80 cm. Wide enough that you might be better off dividing it into three sections: One panel for steps 1–8, one for steps 9–16, and one for the stuff on the right. Then you could reduce costs by using two copies of the steps panels (with slightly different silkscreen on the two sides). Altogether it’d be a monster module, but maybe worth it.

If the switches were next to the jacks instead of under them, then maybe 1–8 above 9–16 could work. But you might need to put the steps further apart horizontally, and even so the switches might be difficult to reach with cables plugged in both sides.

A bit of a drastic option would be to eliminate the fine tuning pots. Or use dual concentric pots… pricey and not easy to find though.

Yet another option: Don’t make it a Kosmo module. Make it a standalone sequencer in its own box. Then you can make it as tall as needed.

3 Likes

Thinking about it stand alone might be the way to go.

1 Like

keeping an eye on this project , I have a set of those boards that someday I will complete .

1 Like

Its a nice build. I have had it in the cupboard for years. I really enjoy looming all the wires nicely.

1 Like

I just want to add that i was burned with my projects by making the pots too close together for 9mm alpha pots with usual knobs. It looks like the image provided will have the same issue. If you go knobless, you could make it work, but the action on these are a bit too free in my opinion.

They are an option though, and you might like it.

1 Like

I have the 3 board set [ quantized ] . and from Ray’s photo of the prototype here the thing ends up huge !
sequencerheadshot

6 Likes