Mail Day Thread

I’ve been wanting it. I already have the Model D, but polyphony would be so nice! Also, the answer to limited shelf space is to get more shelves:

3 Likes

I’ll post something new when I have it, but this is a record I made with a friend in 1996 which is basically just an 808 and an Ensoniq ESQ-1 through the 303 filter. And a Space Echo.

2 Likes

The last I saw for the 909 clone was it was delayed but happening.

The cool thing is they are targeting a $299 price point. I hope if this becomes the case that the 808 clone also drops in price. Even if it doesn’t, thats great.

That’s the problem. I think they are charming, but the boutiques just ended up being limited and drove the prices up.

Both the 808 and the 909 are beloved, but people tend to forget that they got popular (in part) because they were easy to obtain from pawn shops because back then people preferred more “realistic” drum sounds (like the linndrum). Hell, Roland thought it sold so poorly that they only made 10k units, and ceased production of them in less than a year. The 808 did so poorly that they were showing up in pawn shops at $100 in 1983 money ( $260 today ) they retailed at $1000 ( $2597.89 today). When you look at the used clones, they are about $300 - $325 on the low end. So, i appreciate that its not like 600 buckazoids.

I love these drums, but sometimes I gotta remember that this was not always the case. They became beloved, i think, because creative people took something that was not appealing at the time and worked through the limitations of the tech. Didn’t hide it, but rather embraced it.

As software instruments and DAWs with samples etc are commonplace and easily available nowadays, hardware like this needs to keep up.

2 Likes

For real. That’s basically my whole deal :grin:

No lie, those machines are gorgeous. Dont want anyone to think i am not swayed by the visual aspect as well.

Its just, a lot of times you see folks get really passionate about it (and thats fine). Funny how opinions change, and people can get pretty snobby about tech that dropped 90% of its value within a year. Whenever i see anyone look down on someone because of the gear they got i always remember the 808.

Again, just in case there is any doubt, im not hating on ether drum machine. Also, unpopular opinion? I like the 909 better in general, but the 808 is way more flash with them colors.

2 Likes

My guess is that their 606 will make it to market before either the 909 or the Poly D. I picked up a real 606 in a pawn shop in the early 2000’s for $15 (no one in Iowa had any idea how much it was worth.) Back then though I was into hardware with as much polyphony and as many timbres as they could cram in, so I took 3 minutes to sample it and then sold it for about 250x what I paid!

2 Likes

Just a really quick take of some chords through the filter. It took longer to find a semi stable place to put the camera :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

LOL-so you understand my shelf space problem! Cool sounds BTW! Ensoniq’s place in synth history is an important one. I remember how much I loved my Mirage, my Proteus XL-1 (I’m counting post-merge) and especially my ASR-X back in the day. Oh and the Proformance piano still is classic!

2 Likes

I havent gotten anything recently lol.

I would LOVE for everyone to participate any time any day!! :smiley:

2 Likes

Good, because I got another haul today!

Anybody recognize (or want to guess at) those two bags to either side of the op-amp foam are? Also, I recognize that this isn’t strictly parts, but I thought it would be fun to include the other stuff in case anyone else is nostalgic for when Spotify streamed from a big acrylic-covered wood-toned box with a spinning black pancake in it…

3 Likes

Suzanne Ciana’s work is freaking amazing.
I would die for a buchla but omg is all of that ever up there in price range lol.

Vactrols! I’m expecting some today myself.

2 Likes

In the meantime, here’s today’s loot so far:

5 Likes

Sweet! Sam and Dieter-now that’s a combo! I love how Doepfer will break brand to honor their sources.

2 Likes

Totally, Darkness, right? I’m actually looking at the 208C Easel Command (with the Sensel Morph I was asking around about) when bonus time rolls around. It’s about the price of two DSI Prophet 08 Rev 2’s and it’s basically an easel without the touch-key board, and added Midi/Eurorack level conversion, but I think if I have one of those to look at, touch and even (gasp) play (only when I’m feeling really wild, of course) then maybe I can call the collection complete and put an end to my two-year rampage of musical materialism, only adding things that I make after that point. Oh! And I do have a couple of the Red-line modules. They’re still kind of pricey too, but they are technically Buchla! (They haven’t caused me any unforeseen acid trips though.)

2 Likes

did you see this?

the oceans and waves and oh my oh my
3 Likes

are they vactrols? :+1:

1 Like

I’m after the A-124 VCF-5 Wasp Filter myself :+1:

2 Likes

some breadboard real estate turned up today… I’d forgotten all about them so a nice surprise :+1:

4 Likes

Mail Day for me was actually yesterday or the day before, but I was busy with other matters. Here’s a picture of my Beaglebone Black with its newly arrived Bela cape. It’s running a very basic demo loop that generates a sine wave at A-440 on the audio output of the cape. The computer is a lovely ThinkPad x230i tablet convertible that I recently bought second hand on eBay.

5 Likes