Mail Day Thread

dam you Thonk and your sales :wink:

4 Likes

Hey thanks for testing!

I just thought hfe is the wrong value (EDIT: unit) for fets, also my tester says it’s an npn. It tests my p channel jfet just fine.

I’m going to look for a test circuit and see if i can figure it out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Finally!

Still_Life_With_Electric_Bass

Yes, that’s 27 frets on the E string, because the luthite body is small and has generous cutaways. It’s been defretted and has a very playable action. The fingerboard is a man-made material called ebonol, really tough stuff. I’ll probably stick with the round-wound strings it came with, though flats are sometimes preferred because they’re kinder to a fretless fingerboard.

11 Likes

I got some small parts from Aliexpress, mostly a lot of Dupont cables for my CMOS synth project that uses them for patching.

But I also received another cool thing: a €132 customs fee.

It’s absurd and I’ll look into disputing it, but it looks like step 1 of a dispute still requires me to front money, and my chances of a dispute getting through are zero, but screw them, if they’re gonna attempt to steal this much money from me, I’m gonna cost them as much in labor dealing with my goddamn dispute.

Never buy gear from friends outside the EU no matter what. Really sad.

5 Likes

You did choose express shipping ?
NEVER do that. It’s the express carrier who wants money from you, usually.
Aliexpress does “pay” EU custom fees (include them in what you pay, that is…)
(at least they claim it and I never had to pay custom fees when ordering from them)

4 Likes

Couldn’t let this one slide for just a few euros…

11 Likes

Nope, friend sent the stuff via USPS. But the customs clearly opened it, decided they didn’t like the price she put on the label, looked up random electronic gizmos of a similar shape, and charged me the taxes for the most expensive version they could find.

Some carriers like DHL are guaranteed to have absurd additional charges, but in France USPS hands it over to La Poste, which normally has reasonable processing fees, so I assume most of the charge comes from the duties.

3 Likes

!!! I thought it was bad where I am, but that’s just theft!

2 Likes

In relation to the Warbl thread (internal link), these arrived:

The aluminium tube has to be outsized (roughly the same bore as my son’s big alto recorder) to accommodate the width of the arduino board. Its external diameter is 25mm, about the maximum I’d want to work with.

4 Likes

First order from JLCPCB arrived! It was just a test order, so I had open designs printed, unmodified except for manually adding a JLCJLCJLCJLC label on the silkscreen to determine where to print the order number.

5 of @analogoutput’s prototype boards! I do not have precise uses in mind, especially since I’m currently more focused on a mini CMOS synth that only uses positive voltages, but they’re sure to see a good use eventually.

And 5 of North Coast Synthesis MSK-006, each of them being a single channel VCA. It seemed educational to try to understand this circuit and to build it. It’s made entirely out of transistors instead of an IC, for sport. That gives it a crunchy sound, but the thing that should give it the most musical character is that Matthew has been a Twitter mutual for a while, and building stuff created by people you like makes the electrons sound hotter. Science.

I’ll probably put a channel together soon-ish, and once I consider making a Kosmo-sized build, build the rest, and put as many boards as I manage to build properly into a single module.

11 Likes

Not about synth and no photos, but i just got a new electric guitar.
Recentely I sold my 1992 Jackson Randy Roads and bought an Ibanez JS240 Premium (the one with the Sustainiac !!!). I’m really happy, it’s an excellent guitar, it almost plays on its own :slight_smile:

10 Likes

4 Likes

I wish I had Twitter mutuals synthesizers!!

-Fumu / Esopus

We do have a guitar thread: String Driven Thread Thing.

2 Likes

For the moment it was the arrival by the postman, but if I take a picture or I have something to say, I will of course post it in the other thread :wink:

4 Likes

Two new panels! One is a 1/8” to 1/4” “adapter” panel, the other is for a wav trigger

10 Likes

A generous Patron of the Arts just sent me these, so they can continue being used to make new things.

They’re a purchase, but one I’m expected to pay for only later, much later, in the form of First-Run Aria Salvatrice Original Open Hardware, one day.

They oscilloscope will be a huge upgrade over my cheap single channel USB one.

Now to reconfigure entirely my workspace to make them fit. Those things are much bigger than I thought lol. Tails plushie for scale.

11 Likes

was really looking forward to this one but … can’t find the " cap1206-1-sl " IC’s and Mouser isn’t expecting to get them until next June :frowning_face: guess I should have checked first .so this one my sit in the box mostly done for awhile.

10 Likes

Yeah, this is why I tend to go for full kits these days - I do not enjoy BOM hunting, usually I’ll spend half a day searching, end up with baskets on three different sites, ready to take a punt on some unknown aliexpress or ebay listing, resigned to the fact that it will cost a small fortune in shipping and import duties, all ready to order except for that one rare unobtanium IC that is the heart of the entire project. That’s when I close all my browser tabs and walk away…

4 Likes

Last week was big mail week! I was like a kid at Christmas! (A kid who paid for his presents tho)

6 Likes