Mail Day Thread

things like the big button, baby 8 sequencer and a midi-CV converter, also a couple spare because, why not?
and funny enough, the very first thing I did with my mail: test it!
and the first thing I did to test was to burn one of the 40106 :confused:
luckly, all of the nanos worked and are unburnt hahaha

3 Likes

I would have guessed a 40x6=240 40106 mega drone.

3 Likes

its not shown in the pic, but I actually got 100 40106s haha (welp… 99 now :P)
and the first thing I’ll do is a drone with it

3 Likes

Christmas came early today. A huge bag:

of mostly small bags (and some boxes):

Amongst the contents were these:

Yep, that’s a hundred. Now I can finally finish the power distribution boards.

6 Likes

My resistor bag…

4 Likes

Do you know the mod Sync between 2 osc with CD40106 ? … because it’s really excellent :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Got a package from @ChristianBloch that I entirely forgot was en route.

9 Likes

My Tayda package showed up a day early. I submitted the order last Thursday night. Crazy fast from Thailand! I have a handful of modules that I can now finish like the Gate Grinder, Seq. Switch, Dual Quantizer, Christian’s bus board, etc…

10 Likes

Who lot of stuff turning up for folke.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Do you mean the hard sync thing?

1 Like

i think ! i speak about sync between 2 osc in the same chip, here’s schem

with resistor or with cap

on your pic it’s seems to be the same with an external socket

4 Likes

oh this looks fun!
I am actually scratching my head trying to figure out some way to tune/detune all of them at the same time (something like on the 2000 megadrone, but preferably without having to use so many mosfets, haha)

2 Likes

also, a question to all more experienced synth builders out there:
what are some good IC’s, value of resistors and caps, etc that are good to stock on? Delivery times and fees are quite bad around here and I like to make big orders rarely instead of regular, smaller orders…

(I’m not sure if this is the right thread to post this, but since I see many pictures of people with big bundles of things, I guess I’ll at least reach them haha)

I suspect no matter what you do, almost any given module will have some parts that just aren’t in your stash, making it necessary to place orders with the particular modules you plan to build in mind. Or at least that’s what happens to me.

Having said that, it seems like at least 75% of the ICs used are TL07x op amps (TL071, TL072, TL074) and a lot of the rest are LM13700 OTAs.

Most of the transistors are 2n3904 and 2n3906 (more of the former than the latter) or else something you can substitute a 2n390x for.

Resistors and capacitors, there are many values that get used, but definitely stock up on 100k and 1k resistors, 100 nF ceramic capacitors, and 10 µF electrolytic capacitors. Lots of circuits call for a pair of 10R resistors on the power rails but search for that on this site to see the comments on that; suffice to say I always leave them out and instead install 1N5817 Schottky diodes as power reversal protection. So I use a fair few of those. You’ll use a lot of 1N4818 diodes too.

And because you will always forget about them when planning a module, get a bunch of 8-, 14-, and 16-pin DIP sockets. Also 2x5 pin shrouded headers if you will be using them for power distribution.

Buy a lot of jacks. No, more. More than that. Nope, still more.

5 Likes

This is actually quite encouraging to hear!(read?)
I already bought a lot of almost everything you mentioned in my last big order
I’m only missing the schottkys for protection, lm13700 (which are obscenelly expensive here so I’ll see what I can do in the meantime) and 10uf caps (because I suspect I still have a few in the other lab).
also, I will need more jacks, only ordered 100 for now, which I came to notice is definetelly not enough haha
Also, I was studying a bit try and make an easily controlable OTA out of regular opamps, to try and get makeshift lm13700s, I’ll see if I can come up with something useful and will post about it

3 Likes

LOL yeah lost count how many I have ordered now [ hundreds ] , and its never enough .

5 Likes

Didn’t you forget something… ? Something you put big knobs on ?

Pots !
B100K comes first, then B10K.
Other values are more anecdotical.

4 Likes

But the trouble is there are pots and then there are pots: 9 mm, 16 mm, horizontal board mount, vertical board mount, panel mount, linear, log… Maybe if you’re doing everything on stripboard you can manage to use only a few kinds of pots but I find I keep needing different kinds. And anticipating what you’re going to need is a skill that takes time to develop.

5 Likes

AliExpress coming through! Way faster than I expected! All those 555 for my Megasquaredrone… hope they’re not fake!

I got a mega pack of various diodes since it was cheaper - does anybody know if it’s okay to use diodes which are larger than what a schematic/PCB calls for? I figured that since they’re one way, it won’t matter if they’re too large, but I was hoping somebody here could confirm that for me. (Also - how do you tell which size they are? These are unlabeled!)

2 Likes

Larger in what way? There are many different types of diodes. A 4007 is fine instead of a 4001 if we’re talking rectifier diodes, but you wouldn’t want to substitute it for a 4148 signal diode, for example.

4 Likes