Korg Monotron MSX variation

This project came about from the MSX synthesizer by DJSoulMachine I saw about 4 years ago. I kept the printout in a draw along with a Korg Monotron I bought for 4 years until I decide to go ahead with a build.

https://www.djsoulmachine.com/farbeyondperception/index.html

Having very little information about the build I went ahead anyways and spoke with the author regarding certain aspects, he was only too happy to help as I don’t think anyone had actually attempted this build before.

I modified it from the original by adding 2 more Envgen8c EGs instead of the one and adding my own VCA over the original. It has CV and MIDI inputs using a midi implant. I also fixed a few issues and this is the result.

4 Likes

I like your way of marking sections of ICs by writing their basic function on them. This makes servicing the device much easier, should that be necessary. I take it that is why you did that, or is there any other reason?

4 Likes

It’s exactly that, I was losing track of which opamp etc to probe when I was troubleshooting.

3 Likes

I am getting started on mine. Good to know the author is available for help :slight_smile:

I also noticed there’s some information missing, do you happen to have any tips?

1 Like

What information is missing?

1 Like

Well maybe not missing but it’s all not very clear to me what connections to make. Maybe i need to study the schematics some more and make a list with all the connections

It was very confusing for me too, I think there were a few mistakes in the original connections

I’m using the monotron delay so a few things are different but i have made a list now with all the differences with the original monotron. Some component numbers and values are different and also the test points.

Do you remember any mistakes? That would really help :slight_smile: