Coron DS8 Clone

Hi! First time poster here.

I have made a schematic of the Coron DS-8 drum synth, based on the cloned schematic by Marc Bareille. I have added some mods to my version, and I am in the process of making a PCB as well. I am just trying to learn kiCad right now, so any errors are because of incompetence :slight_smile:

So here are the schematics if anyone is interested!

3 Likes

Sounds lovely! I suppose it’s this one?

I notice no TL07x opamps are used like I normally see in schematics. I don’t have the LM324 / LM471 opamps. Can I use my LM358’s instead perhaps?

1 Like

Yes it is! I haven’t built it yet, but I have built the DS-7, which lacks the noise circuit. That one is fun too!

Regarding the IC’s: I don’t think that that would be a good replacement, as I understand it the LM358 is a power op amp and the LM741 is a comparator.

That’s LM386. LM358 is a regular dual opamp, and similar enough to ½ LM324 that TI has a single application note that covers both of them.

LM741 is also an opamp (one of the classics).

EDIT: And yeah, TL07x won’t work here unless you redo the power supplies. CA3080 can be difficult to source, at least if you want one that’s actually new, but possibly recycled ones are cheap on eBay, or you can use half an LM13700 (see discussion in this thread) or if you want to splurge, get one of the reissues (e.g. Alfa’s AS3080).

3 Likes

Thanks! A lot of interesting reading there!

1 Like

Nice work!

Maybe you know this and just haven’t done it yet but:

image image

This is going to make pcbnew connect the jack directly to R100 with a ratsnest line. If intention is to panel mount the jacks and pots and switch and wire them to the PCB doing it this way won’t create a solder pad to connect the wire to. You can add generic connectors using wire pads as footprints to fix that. Or use Molex headers as footprints (I use Molex_KK-254_AE-6410-02A_1x02_P2.54mm_Vertical etc. matching the ones Tayda sells) and then the user has the option of using Molex or soldering wires. I actually use two connectors, one on the jack and one on the thing it connects to, representing the Molex connector and header even though the former, like the jack, isn’t on the PCB — that way there’s a BOM entry for the connector. A bit anal, I mean if there’s a Molex header in the BOM people are going to know they need the connector too, but that’s just me. Then I don’t use global labels to create a ratsnest line between the jack and the PCB, but use labels like CVIN_P and CVIN_B maybe to indicate what on the panel connects to what on the PCB.

For the jacks the symbol you’ve used can work with the right footprint (if they were to be PCB mounted), but I think it’s clearer to use a symbol with no G terminal and connect the S terminal to ground. Most jacks don’t actually have separate G terminals, just T and S. (Stereo jacks have T, R, and S terminals.)

So I’d end up with something like this:

2 Likes

Wow thanks for your input! This is a really friendly community!

No, I didn’t really know how to solve that, probably because in my head I know that I would have to make a solderpad for it, and that the sleeve is going to ground. There is so much to learn, as I of course would like others to use my schematics as well!

There is a lot of trial and error when learning of course, and I listen to all feedback that is given!

5 Likes

I was actually toying with the idea to make a schematic using the LM13700, or at least later a PCB for a double synthesizer! I built the Coron DS-7 that way, and that worked perfectly.

2 Likes