Korg DW6000 editor

This editor is designed to fit inside the DW6000 body and allow full editing and patch storage for the DW6000. The pots are mounted on these strips to allow for spacing so they match up to the existing parameter positions on the lid of the synth

5 Likes

Almost the finished project…

Well this is basically it installed with the smallest knobs I had with a star shaft, I had smaller in D shaft but unfortunately I changed pots after I realised that 23mm shafts would sit off the from panel by 10mm with knobs fitted. Tapping into the midi is easy, J5A contains the midi in pins from the rear panel. It’s a bit crooked in places, but for a £100 synth it’s not bad. Plus I might do the wavefirm expansion mod. Basically editing of every parameter of the synth from the front panel. OLED display of the parameter, storage of 999 memory locations, editor can be the master, updating the synth from its own patch memory or you can recall the internal patches and edit them. It also acts as a usb to midi converter.

2 Likes

Carrying on with this project, I was interested in the 128 waveform modification I found on hackaday.io

Well today the parts arrived and I gave it a try, tricky little build, first removing two 28 pin proms without damaging them from the main board. Next solder some sockets and insert the old roms to test it still works.

Program the board EPROM with patched code from the developer and check you have access to parameter 14, bank select.

Build the expansion board and using the utility flash two eproms with 128 waves of your choice, preferably keeping the original 8 in bank 1.

Install the board into the two ic sockets and wire up to the main processor board with 4 wires.

Test functions.

5 Likes

Finished article with updated editor, I changed some of the knobs for buttons and added parameter 14 to change wave bank

1 Like

OK, poor quality video time, here is a sort of demo of some of the features of my DW6000 editor, I’d like to show the wave expansion working over MIDI but unfortunately that is currently broken so I cannot access parameter 14 via MIDI.

https://youtu.be/ru–uNMX0UQ

1 Like

Brilliant stuff. Are you doing this full-time or have you also developed time travel to allow for all this amazing productivity?

1 Like

I retired and bought myself a Tardis

2 Likes

Besides making this short video I’ve done nothing today, the Russians have been firing missiles at our region most of this week, so I get little time to do anything at the moment

2 Likes

Of course, sorry i forgot where you were. Stay productive but more so, stay safe. All the best Craig

3 Likes