Kilodrone Megadrone

It’s done!

13 Likes

It literally took me the same amount of time to make just one.

5 Likes

Sam makes video exactly 10:00 long; YouTube says nope…

5 Likes

Me, clicking The play triangle on @ChristianBloch ‘s screen grab: :confused:
The neighbors must think Sam is fabricating and testing jet engines or something.

5 Likes

I don’t know where a good place to put this question…I understand having mulitple OSC and having to tune them separately…I understand flipping a switch in a Synth to sync the OSCs together…

I don’t understand the tuning knobs on the individual panels and the overall tuning knob…I guess I wasn’t following along close enough when he did the big note (THX) sound… what is the tuning knob doing, and how are the OSC being synced up and/or why are they not synced up to begin with?

Thanks…may be a simple answer, but beyond my experience level.

Mike

2 Likes

The oscillators have voltage control. He has a single voltage source sending to all the oscillators so when he increases the voltage the oscillators all go up in pitch. However, each oscillator is a little different so they go up by different amounts.

So he sends them all some voltage and then uses the individual tuning knobs to tune all the oscillators to the same pitch. (Or actually to several pitches that are octaves apart.) So now, at that control voltage setting, they’re all in tune. They are not synced, they’re just all tuned together.

Then he lowers the control voltage and they all go to different lower pitches. That’s the “jet engines” noise. By raising the control voltage again he gradually brings them all back in tune with each other, giving the “THX” effect.

3 Likes

Thanks, so it was a simple answer. I was trying to make it more complicated than it was.

Mike

2 Likes

24 hour live stream

8 Likes

Hi, I created a new topic with my audio torrent - Megadrone 24hour Livestream

Maybe I should have replied here instead. Oh well

It’s basically 23 hours 16 minutes of the Kilodrone - (I messed up and missed 45 minutes or so) :frowning:

I have video to go with it - but that’s going to be quite a large file. I’ll start going through it next week if anyone is interested

4 Likes

(looks like the player thinks the video is 601.24 seconds, so an extra 31 frames…)

2 Likes

Am I the first person to suggest that it might be fun to play with Shepard tones on this monster machine?

5 Likes

You probably are the first and I’m curious how you’d go about it. Shepard tones are magic :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I suppose in SuperCollider I’d model this using several banks of oscillators with random phase alignment and a Shepard pattern of frequency sweeps. I’d probably have to mess around with different ways to inject entropy into the system but the Kilodrone will already come with entropy preinstalled.

Edit: here the SuperCollider expert Eli Fieldsteel describes and demonstrates his own code to produce the Shepard effect. It’s useful to describe this in a programming language because it produces code that can be scaled up to arbitrarily large numbers of oscillators (1000 oscillators is within the capabilities of some modern laptops in SuperCollider) and the principles can easily be applied in designing a control apparatus for real world oscillator arrays.

2 Likes

Is it possible to output a Shepard tone as a CV? :thinking:

1 Like

You can generate the 1V/Oct CVs for the VCOs.

There are several videos about it, for example these ones :

(I’m eager to get my synth to look like that… MOTM is the most beautiful commercial modular synth around…)

2 Likes

There’s a project I’ve been pursuing off and on (currently off) for several months now, based on the Barton Wave Shaper which takes an input signal and outputs a mix of the same notes in multiple octaves. What I’m working on is making the mix voltage controlled. I just realized that would be just the thing for Shepard tones. “All” you would need is to send in a suitable set of CVs to control the mixer. Which is a lot easier said than done; the CVs would need to be pitch dependent in a nontrivial way.

4 Likes