Kicad Conversion

I’ve had Kicad on my desktop for a few months and in Sam’s filter video yesterday, he mentioned using it so I figured it was time to install it and make the conversion from Fritzing for the control I assume that it gives. Anybody have any pointers on adapting to the professional tool mindset? This feels like going from MS Paint to Adobe Illustrator.

2 Likes

Im a bad person to ask. I still use MS-Paint.

I plan on migrating to it once I get a few designs nailed down in strip-board first. Ive tinkered with it a bit, but thats about it.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this helps, but I posted this link on another thread. Notes and Volts did a pretty indepth tutorial about this on YouTube which had some tips and tricks in there. The link to the first video in the series is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuek-NyDaWo

2 Likes

It really doesn’t have to be either or. If only Kicad was anything like Illustrator. It’s awful software, that just so happens to be powerful, and there isn’t really anything else that is any better. I would say use it only when you have to.

1 Like

I installed it a few weeks ago.Found it pretty easy to use after watching some tutorials on youtube :+1: