KiCAD 6 Review.

This is exciting!

2 Likes

Srsly?

So Hackaday published a review of the review:

Est. reading time about 37 seconds. I feel like there should be a middle ground.

2 Likes

KiCad: New! S-Expressions!!

Me: Dude, I took a LISP class in 1975.

1 Like

Happy that copy/paste is fixed, sad there’s no tabs.

1 Like

Man… have you heard of SHLISP?
Peter uses it - is based on LISP and that is the heart of the SHBOBO SHNTH instrument :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another important attribute of the new file format for Eeschema is that schematic symbols will be embedded to the file (not linked, as they currently are). This means that in KiCad 6, Eeschema files will be self-contained and will not depend on libraries. You will be able to publish and share these files and be sure that they will open properly on other people’s KiCad 6 instances. No more “[??]” indicating broken links to symbol libraries.

*Cheers* *Applause* *Confetti*

3 Likes

Duuude no kidding. The fix for copy and paste is huge too

1 Like

This statement is incorrect

“Pcbnew does have “copy”, but you can only paste in the same Pcbnew instance” I copy and paste between PCBNEW instances all the time.

Shame there is not an intergrated autorouter still :frowning:

This might be an OSX issue, you can only have one instance open of it at a time if you open it from the KiCad app, and the paste doesn’t carry over. You can cheat it by opening one from KiCad, and one from the command line.

In Linux you can have only one instance of KiCad open (with one project) at a time, and you can copy from PCBnew, close the project, open a different project, and paste, and it works.

You also can open PCBnew standalone, and have multiple instances of that for multiple projects, and you can copy/paste between them.

I’ve never gone through the trouble of setting up a separate-but-linked autorouter, mainly because my understanding is that for an autorouter to do a good job you have to start with components in good positions and orientations, and to me that’s the hard part.

1 Like

“freerouting” seems to do a very good job overall, occasionally it will fail if the components are badly placed. I usually start by trying to get the rats nest as short as possible and leave the optimisation to the router.