Issues with multiple PSU's

I recently put together a Frequency Center Routemaster PSU and have been having issues - though I am starting to believe the problems may have started earlier.

Previously I had two FC Power PSU’s in my case and everything seemed fine. Now that I have begun using both PSU’s (one was enough for the longest time) strange behavior began when sharing them. Nothing catastrophic (so far as I can tell) but more just ‘annoying’ behavior such as drifting and noise.

I have pulled all of them out at this point and have them currently sitting on my bench. Is there a way I can safely put them to the test and make sure they will play nicely with each other?

1 Like

I don’t have a solution (yet), but as you maybe know, I’m facing the same problem. What was your set-up/wiring giving you problems?

This is my setup as it currently stands:

Which wall wart? What’s its power or current rating?

1 Like

I’ve been using my mini-duck and the k25 LFO as the ‘sacrificial’ test modules. If I have them both plugged into the same power supply (any of them) everything is fine and when I tap the tip of the LFO jack to the sleeve of the mini-duck trigger it fluctuates a little but works exactly as expected when fully plugged in.

If I have them plugged into any two different PSU’s, the LFO speed goes to something like audio rate when I tap the tip against the sleeve of the mini duck trigger - which makes me not want to plug it all the way in.

I have heard warnings in the past of making sure that things are not “out of phase”. Knowing how to test for this and avoid it would be helpful.

2 Likes

I am 99% sure this is the exact same one - but I’ll admit, I threw away the plastic enclosure after I took it out to mount in my case. You know, like a smart person.

Does a multimeter show continuity between ground (jack sleeve) on the two modules?

Test to make sure the wall wart wire (on the output, 12VAC side) that connects to ground on one PSU connects to ground on the other.

1 Like

Yes, they do share continuity.

I will try to beef up my wiring a bit today. The wire going to the second PSU is a bit long and thin.

I’m not sure what else to try.

I had an idea today. If I swap the transformer with a center-tapped one, the currents the two AC wires will induce in the ground loop should cancel each other. I will experiment with this, possibly running them as a twisted pair.

1 Like

The quest continues…

1 Like

I have stripped everything out of my case so I can have a bit more room to redo my wiring. Everything seems to work fine individually when I do tests on my desk.

If anyone is familiar with this type of oscilloscope -

• (after giggling about the tagline) if someone could put together a guide on how to use it to run tests on a PSU… I would be in your debt!
3 Likes