Is there a Kosmo look/feel?

Same. If you DIY your own panels, you have to be more accurate with metal rails. I bodge too much to go with metal for anything outside of Eurorack.

3 Likes

yeah exactly a lot of the MFOS panels ended up odd widths because I was scaling Ray’s art work for the 20cm panel height .

2 Likes

Odd widths aren’t an issue (other than aesthetically) if you’re using slide nuts, and if you aren’t then metric widths are “odd” and result in gaps. Threaded strips seem to exist only with 0.2" (HP) spacing (with metric threaded holes, go figure).

Odd heights are another issue — there’s some slop (especially if you make your mounting holes oversize) but you need to be pretty close to the correct hole to hole distance. And with Gie-Tec or TipTop rails there are lips your panels need to fit between, so if they’re too large, that’s bad. TS600 rails have no lip so are more tolerant of height variation.

I’ve had no real problems with homemade panels on TS600 rails, but I only have a few. Nearly all my modules have fabbed FR4 panels for which accuracy just isn’t an issue — as long as I design them right.

6 Likes

One of my favorite things about the Kosmo format is the DIY aspect and individuality of it all. I think it’s awesome that I can look at a module and tell right away if it’s something that @analogoutput @d42kn355, or @Dud has made. Everyone has their own style, and that’s awesome! I’m getting into making modules myself as well - they’re typically oversized, super simple, make no sense, or completely useless. It’s all part of the fun!

The Kosmo community is extremely supportive of beginners as well. Again, I have to credit @analogoutput, @d42kn355, @Caustic, and more with help on some LMNC modules that I’ve been working on.

If you’re planning on making your own modules, I would encourage you to make them look and feel however you want - that’s part of the fun to me. Seeing everyone’s individual styles and ideas is what initially got me interested in the Kosmo format. I don’t know a ton yet, but if I can ever help in any way, please feel free to reach out!

8 Likes

I have been trying to go with a fairly monotone palette - taking cues from the black and silver of sams modules and going with brown and gold for my own. Most of mine are 3d printed and then finished in various ways to get them smoothed out and looking less 3d-print-ie. After that I prime and paint. My larger plan it to some day find a good place that can CNC front panels from aluminum and powder coat in the same colors with nice neat text.

Some day!

5 Likes

I started out using what ever thin scrap metal I could find and using repurposed wood .
was lucky to come across a " deal " on aluminum blanks so I was able to up grade and I over time bought better wood and rebuilt boxes . so in the spirit that Sam has brought to Kosmo don’t be discouraged when you see people with big set ups our real nice boxes , some of us have the skills tools from work or the funds to spend to much . start somewhere and you will build your skills and modules over time but make it your look / sound , thats what DIY modular is all about .

4 Likes

I’ll admit, one of the big draws is that my modular looks like MY modular <3

9 Likes

I’ve always admired the look of the Moog modulars, walls of modules in a uniform style that says “I’m a serious contender”.

And the look of typical Eurorack systems has always bugged me: A crazy quilt mish mash of multiple designers’ panel styles, colors, fonts, knobs, layouts… a kind of chaos not appealing to my nature.

My first Kosmo modules tended the same way, my own panel designs, Sam’s, @CTorp’s, etc. When I started my second Kosmo case I made the decision every panel would be either fabricated to my design, or overlaid with my design for a more or less uniform, though very un-Moog-like, appearance. I am no artist and do not prefer the rough and scribbly look so I design the panels in Inkscape and get them fabricated in aluminum or (mostly) FR4.

To date only one panel is an overlaid one from another designer, I’ve been focused on either my own module designs or putting my own Kosmo panels on others’ PCBs. I did build @sebastian’s transistor ladder filter but since I was getting the boards fabricated anyway I redid his panel design in my style and had that fabricated.

A case full of modules later, I really like the result. It looks like a system, not a hodgepodge (I mean, it is a hodgepodge, but it doesn’t look like one!), and no one else has a system that looks like it. It may not be a great synth but it’s my synth, and you can tell by looking at it.

10 Likes

This is pretty much the summation for me.

6 Likes

It’s unlikely that your synth will get to travel to where another Kosmo meets them so you won’t face any realization they’re an impostor.

I fantasize modules like they’re going to be old books in a big library and the variety of bindings and colors is what makes the fantasy work. When I miss card catalogs I can just gaze at Kosmodulargrid. I don’t think I’ll miss rolling ladders unless it’s built to a height of 10m.

-Fumu / Esopus

4 Likes