Introductions: Say hello, tell us about yourself and your projects

Recently discovered LMNC’s videos and followed them here. I’ve dabbled off and on — mostly off — with electronic music since my undergraduate days back in the 1970s when an alumnus of our school by the name of Alan R. Pearlman donated an ARP 2600 to his alma mater and taught a 3-day mini-course on synthesis. Got back into synthesizers a bit over a year ago with purchase of a Mother-32 followed quickly by building a DIY ribbon controller and then my first Eurorack kit. System’s still small, but growing; commercial modules only except for a quick and dirty reverb, but I have thoughts of other homebrew designs.

6 Likes

First thing I did after buying my Mother-32 was to build a SoftPot based ribbon controller for it, based on a project I found online. Very fun to build and use!

7 Likes

Its the details i like about this pic.

4 Likes

First is a knob from a “press to exit” panel where I used to work
here in Australia. No one could get out for weeks!
It used to be grey but of course I had to paint it red! (not very
well, but still) !!!
The rubber duck has a flashing 555 led up its bum. I intend to
mount it on top so it responds a bit to the cv as well.

Star Wars tin contains a test tone circuit. 555 with some
filtering to make it more triangle wave-ish.

Pic is my artist son’s Punk Duck card!

And yes, I intend to put my design of the sequencer out there.
It’s kind of messy, but whatever!

I just have stripboard arrangements done, very adhoc. Not proper
circuit diagrams yet, not sure what to use for that.

If you want to see them then I’ll put them on the forum.

Let me know, everyone seems a lot more professional than me!

Cheers!

7 Likes

The answer to that is always “yes, please!” We’re all still learning :grinning:

8 Likes

We like stripboard layouts here as well!

6 Likes

btw: are your stripboards made from paper or from epoxy? I found the epoxy quite expansive! is paper durable enough?

1 Like

KiCad is what Sam uses for schematic capture and PCB design. It is excellent free open source software.

2 Likes

That looks very professional. I’ve had a bit of fun playing with my softpot, but haven’t settled on a final design and construction style yet. There is a very tempting article about building a dual-touch ribbon controller using (I think) a constant current source.

Another thing I’d like to play with is the famous (in Arduino circles, at least) HC-SR04 ultrasonic range finder. This can be used in a manner somewhat similar to the D-BEAM infra-red controller on some Roland keyboards, and it’s very inexpensive at around £2-£4 on UK eBay. I’ve mucked around with it on Arduino but never used it for anything musical.

2 Likes

I pretty much followed this for the ribbon controller, with a few small modifications to hardware and software.

I’ve got one of those HC-SR04s knocking around somewhere, maybe I’ll get it out and mess with it again.

1 Like

This is the one I was talking about. I’ve also seen the one you refer to.

https://www.paia.com/ProdArticles/dual-ribbon-howto.htm

1 Like

Hi All, Been a bass player for many years, but have an obsession with synths. Had a few keyboard synths in the past, Minimoog, Pro One, DX7 etc. Sold them all (WHY???) Then got into Cosey Fanni Tutti when her biog came out, which ended with me building Gristleizers and then the modular you see before you. There’s now 5 VCO’s, 5 LFO’s, 3 Filters, 3 EnGen etc. Does anyone know how to stop buying more kits? Anybody going to see Sam in Bristol?

9 Likes

Where? I don’t see it.

Edit: the picture finally showed up.

1 Like

sorry there is no stopping once it takes hold …

2 Likes

7 Likes

Too late, Sam’s posted more kits available soon, parts already on the way. Oh well, better warm up the soldering iron.

2 Likes

Modern Gas! My bonus gets deposited tomorrow and I already know what I’m pre-ordering.

3 Likes

6 Likes

Hi… am new here, came over from Patreon for LMNC. Thought I’d get involved in life again, as am feeling more creative. Have a proper electronics cubby in my kitchen now, and gradually putting my kit in some sort of order. Would like to build my own modular system. Currently building all the kits I can find while clearing the cupboards out to get some soldering practice in.

I have a background in public telecom systems, then went back to Uni to get my mechanical engineering degree. Got a long term illness, so sort of turned into a council flat engineer. Then corona happened and I get all inspired again!

9 Likes

Welcome. I started with and still do kits to keep my hand in. I too am long term I’ll and building synths and other music equipment is just one of my many 'stay sane ’ strategies. Lots of support and ideas here though we’re all learning. Enjoy

4 Likes