Hagiwo Oled Sequencer

Hi folks,

Would anyone dare to draft a stripboard layout for Hagiwo’s Oled Seq?

Youtube video here: [ $7 ] DIY eurorack modular synth 6CH gate sequencer with SSD1306 OLED and arduino /for drum machine - YouTube
Schematics (scroll down) here: https://note.com/solder_state/n/n17c69afd484d

Cheers!

1 Like

Maybe there’s one in the thread “verified stripboard layout”

I think @Unauthorised_service make one (but not sure)

or do it yourself, it’s not a dificult circuit, maybe the time to try it :slight_smile:

EDIT : sorry it’s in the “My build progress” thread

2 Likes

Those are the CV sequencers, I meant the 6CH gate seq :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Oh yes sorry, maybe ask to @HAGIWO if he had made some PCB of this one to sell ?
Then you will have the option to download the free software and try to make your own stripboard layout

2 Likes

I noticed the following on the webpage:

There is a sound (physical, not electrical) coming from the OLED, and the power supply is probably very noisy. Since the output is 0-5V this time, there is no care for noise, but in the case of CV output, I felt that it was better to check the fluctuation of the power supply.

This sounds like it may be related to something I’ve noticed with noise appearing on CV inputs when using an OLED. I found it helped to use an external 5 V regulator for the OLED (and other things on the circuit I was using that needed it) while connecting the Arduino to the 12 V supply so it was on its own internal 5 V regulator. I also put 10 nF caps between the CV input pins and ground which may have helped. Of course here you have no CV input, just the clock, and it sounds like the noise is on the output, but a similar fix might work. And as suggested above, for gate/clock inputs and outputs rather than CV, the noise might not matter anyway.

I was surprised to see in the schematic 3.3k resistors between VIN and (SDA, SCL). I haven’t used those, just connected SDA and SCL to the Arduino and nothing else. Not sure what those resistors are meant to do, pull up the pin voltage if it’s floating maybe, but I don’t know why an output pin would be floating. Maybe there’s something (else) I need to learn.

2 Likes

Ok, so here’s my very first attempt at converting a schematic into a stripboard layout. Needless to say, it must contain many mistakes and the design could surely be streamlined.

@Dud @analogoutput can you please verify and provide some feedback?

3 Likes

The arduino is missing, where’s the Arduino ?

I’ve only included the connections to the Arduino Nano (D2, D3, D5-D10, D12, D13, A4, A5, the 5V supply from the Arduino). Those connections to the Arduino are the easy part.

Turns out that yes, I2C does require pullup resistors on SCL and SDA — however, the MC096VX has them built in. (R1, R2). So you could leave those 3.3k resistors out.

3 Likes

Apart from those seemingly obsolete 3.3k resistors, what else needs to be corrected?

I would delete that photo and re-upload one with it clearly marked as not verified. If search engines like Google Images pick up the image it won’t have any context in the forum for people to realise that it’s not finalised. Just a wee tip!

3 Likes

Good call. Just edited the image and replaced it.

5 Likes

For me it lacks some information, (if someone else wants to build it from your stripboard only, without the original schem)

• the arrival of power
  • GND & +12V for the Arduino (that’s why I found it strange that the Arduino didn’t appear on your stripboard layout)
  • Switch GND
  • GND of the OLED.
    You thought to put the Arduino on another plate?
2 Likes

Sure, that can be added. However, is everything else correctly placed? The diodes (and their orientation), resistors, etc?

yes the rest looks good

1 Like

@Dud @analogoutput when I plug in the clock signal, the sequencer is triggered but somehow the speed of the clock module is reduced by at least half, slowing down everything connected on my case. Any ideas/solution? :thinking:

If built as shown in your stripboard layout I don’t see why that would happen. Clock input goes through 470R to digital pin and 100k to ground, neither of which should significantly affect the signal upstream. Then there are the diodes but if they’re oriented correctly they shouldn’t mess anything up either. Anyway if the signal were affected it should be the amplitude, not the speed. Do you have a way of measuring the amplitude of the clock signal at the input?

What are you using for a clock source?

1 Like

Unfortunately, I can’t measure the amplitude of the clock signal. This is my clock module: Triple Seq Sequencer : Clock Module - YouTube

I don’t see any way it could be messing up the clock speed, but possibly if it were lowering the amplitude or altering the clock pulse shape or something like that it might have some odd effect. Unfortunately it would be very hard to diagnose without a scope. All I can suggest is looking for layout or assembly errors in the sequencer. Again, if built according to your layout, it would seem impossible for it to badly affect the clock signal.

Have you some pics of your build ?