Gameboy oscillator documentation

do you have any tips on how to avoid using the triwing screw driver?

You could use a driller and cut off / destroy the screw head with it, open the Gameboy and then get out the rest of the screws with pliersā€¦ but you can easily damage something with this method, so be careful! (Or go buy a triwing, it made me quite angry when I had to buy a tool for a single use as well :wink: )

2 Likes

I was also wondering, did you have to extend the ribbon connector to join the two halves of the board to maket it fit on the pannel?

I donā€™t understand what you meanā€¦ you mean the power connector for the stripboard? or the ribbon that connects the front and back of the gameboy? probably the latter :slight_smile: No, it left it as it was, but I made a big hole in the aluminum panel for it to go through. Which was a pain, because I did not have a cnc back then :slight_smile: It is tight, but it fits.

the big ribbon cable that connects the two halves of the gameboy, i guess the hole does work, i just have a hard time visulizing measurements in my head so it just seemed a little short is all. Suppose i should get a holesaw thenā€¦

I had a screwdriver set. Unless you dont care about the case being ruined, you should buy a triwing driver. Those things are notorious for stripping, so be careful and only crew them in after first turning the screw backwards to ā€œfindā€ the original track.

I havent done this mod, but you mean the ribbon that connects the screen to the main board. I dont know if you would need a longer one, but at worst it just means your screen wont work. I think its long enough though.

Most parts for the DMG have 3rd party replacements, and if you arnt using it for gaming its even less important they ā€œfeelā€ right.

Good place for DMG stuff is handheld legend:

1 Like

Screenshot from 2022-01-18 09-46-04
what do these jack sockets do? are they to do with the arduino boy or the cpu mod? I sat last night and made a bank of 3 cpu mods on some stripboard so i hope it works. Can you just use a 7805 to power the gameboys on the same power input as the cpu mods as they also use the 7805?

i bought the rattiest ones i could find (obv working) the cases looked cheap enough so it seemed like a good idea, as long as the hardware was functional i couldnt care how the plastics looked. Do you know of any cheap flash carts to load dmg on? I was thinking of chaining a single cartridge to all 3 but that was a stupid late night thought and obv that wont work as far as im aware

These are on the arduinoboy. They can be used to control the control the cc messages on the midi injector part. They are the same as the potentiometers, kind of.

It is connected like this:

So, with nothing plugged in, the potentiometer is a voltage divider between 5V and GND, which is translated by the arduino to the appropriate cc command (set pulse width for example). But if you plug in a cable, then the pot acts as an attenuator, meaning, if you turn it full up, it will just relay whatever is in the jack to the arduino. But if you turn it down, it will attenuate the signal, only letting through e.g. half of the signal when at the 12 o clock position. The circuit should have protection diodes, I guess, but so far I have not destroyed my arduino :slight_smile:

And yes, you can use the same 7805 to power the gameboy.

2 Likes

I was just curious really as Sam had jacks on the side of his too but also had the additional cc controller thing so it confused me a little, unless they are completely different and im confusing myself

also would you recomend using 1 regulator each to power 3 gameboys or can i run all of them through 1. i think it was in spec with the 7805 being able to output 1.5 or so amps i think. the gameboys say they only draw 70-80 mamp but i have no idea how accurate this is

to mount 3 on a panel how big would that panel need to be? I dont think sam mentioned it in the videos

they fit on a 20cmx40cm . sorry I am always very optimistic with how much I can get Dione with my time.this project was one I still have on the shelf haha. but who knows.good luck with the build!Ā±!!!

6 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome Sam, thank you so much, if you have any tips of things to add to improve it that would be sweet, you said youā€™ve learnt alot since the gameboy megamachine so any pointers would be insanely appreciated! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

EDIT-Also really sorry to bother you again, you added a third set of switches to the panel but didnā€™t really explain what they were for, could i have a small insight as to what they do? Iā€™m hoping to start the build hopefully this weekend if my panel arrives on time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Capture
where does this point solder to? is it all on that same red wire on the left?

When i join the lower two points with a 100k pot it sorta works ok. However it has a small window of adjustment and is super sensative but when i try to use the 47k pots within the circuit the screen just goes blank as if the ltc is giving out 0 clock speed.

It also sounds like the cpu mod is injecting audible noise to the audio making a horrible screech, im just using the headphone jack without a pro sound mod so i wonder if its just that

I might just get some new stripboard and re build it, after sitting for a couple weeks on it i sorta understand the circuit more, just still confused on what all 3 switches do thoā€¦I know one is obviously power but the other two i dont understand.

ive finally got my arduinoboy sorted but something isnt right, it seems to be backfeeding power into the gameboys for some reason, even if i disconnect the gameboys from power the backlights are still on and the cpu is running, i have no idea what is going on

1 Like

Hm, can you draw a picture of how you connected everything?

1 Like

ive disconnected the cpu mod for now but i wired up something wrong with the midi so now the cpu dosent seem to stay on which is good but the backloghts still stay on, i have nothing to draw with at the moment but the power for the gameboy is wired into the battery terminals via a switch and i can get the diagram for the wiring i used. (im using the top one)

I also have run into an issue where it responds to midi messages really slow, after a while or random pressing it goes back to normal but its rare. Thats the biggest issue so far, other than that they seem to work ok

3 Likes