From digital to physical: Worlds slowest multi format case builds

Quick question:-
Should i glue it up THEN paint… or mask bits off that are gonna be glued and paint it in separate bits.

My lazy mind says the first. =)
I remember sam put his together then painted it in one go.

As there is no reason to ever take it appart again, go for the simple way of doing it !

Personally, I paint/stain after things are all assembled.

Personally I close the bottom of my cases completely, more solid, if you have to move it the back of the modules is protected, and that also prevents dust from entering (a lot of dust in my old house)

for the paint at the end

Alright, i should hopefully get it glued up tomorrow after cutting up rails, and spray it the day after if its dry enough.

I’m adding a frame (Or Analog’s suggestion) and backer board, so it should stable enough =)
As for dust and cat fuzz… well thats just an ongoing battle =D

3 Likes

Only if you fill the entire case with modules as soon as it’s built, and no one but @Dud does that… oh. Wait. Never mind.

3 Likes

Sam make also his case with background :blush:

1 Like

Well its been a while since ive made any progress with my build (been tidying and rearranging the house)
But today I needed to ‘feel’ back on track. So after chopping down my old bed into bits I glued up a drilling guide so I can be a bit more confident drilling into 12mm ply and not messing it up.

Its more ‘prep’ than ‘progress’.

Easy to use once cleaned up.
Center your bit and use the inside corner to get the bit perpendicular. Drill as needed.

Ill update you next month how it worked out for me. haha!
Nah, just kidding. hopefully I can get my case done soon now.

2 Likes

As much as I want to start a second case, It’s still too dang cold in the garage!

3 Likes

Ive been getting on with my work in the kitchen =) easy enough to clean up and i can stand by the tiny radiator in there hehe.

my ‘first attempt’ at a case is gonna become a guitar stand. its too sloppy to be a ‘real’ case lol

1 Like

As suggested by:

A quick design in Blender.

Ok, so I decided to just get ish done and not record it. Everything is ready for glueing, all drilled and test fitted (its a bit janky but meh, its done-ish)

Didnt take too long once I got in the rhythm =)

Still need to add the cross braces @analogoutput suggested. Then sanding, filling, sanding, sanding, primer and fun time painting =)

5 Likes

Done fillin’, now chillin =)
Its pretty much the same pic as above… but thats the progress so far. Might sand down later n add another layer if needed. Then sand again tomorrow n start painting.

5 Likes

So i was planning on spraying today, but i just adjusted the rails to be level n screwed 'em in tested the panels.
its looking more like a ‘thing’ every day! =D

6 Likes

Dont undervalue your work, i think its looks better than mine, and mine i think is serviceable despite its flawed looks.

3 Likes

Thank you! It definitely was an ambitious choice to go with angled panels since this is my first step into wood working too.
Though, honestly I do think its been a great learning experience. Bashing my beginners mind through it all and still keeping fingers is a plus.
The topper case Ill make next will be a lot simpler and will be made at Dud speeds =D

Putting primer on it next should cover up the jank =) Then, the paint theme will distract from the rest lol

4 Likes

Ready for processing! Ok kids find the shiny.

Soon ill be like…

3 Likes

Lets play a game…drug den or spray booth?

Correct! Its a drug den! I was getting high on solvents!
This was just a byproduct…

7 Likes

As someone who paints miniatures, i can safely say its a little of both.

1 Like

Been working on a theme. Inspired by 10 hun and my gf’s gamername ‘NeonKosmo’.
Ive got my colours chose (molotow premium neon spray) just need to order up some cans, clear coat and matt medium.

Left is main case, right is topper case.

I want to add in a character or focal thing to each case but all my attempts of a 10 hun char’ suck so far. I just need to wait till something good falls out of me I guess. =)
Oh and I need to develop a graffiti text style again so I can have ‘Dont be scared to try it’ tagged on it.

I mean, if a case is going to take months to make, it may as well be the best I can make it right?

4 Likes