From digital to physical: Worlds slowest multi format case builds

Good luck. Count your fingers now :smiley:

3 Likes

If it doesnā€™t quite line up, wood glue and a bit of spare wood spits are your friend.

4 Likes

It is quite complicated to place a simple wood piece as fence so the cut is where you want it.

May I suggest you make something like this :

That works also for a jigsaw, and the bottom big piece of wood can simply be hardboard or thin plywood you have lying around.

Yes this needs TWO wood pieces, but it is worth it !

7 Likes

That is awesome! saves figuring out how much to offset the fence, just line it up n rip. Very nice =P

For this time im just going to use some callipers and a square, but i guess that will be my next wood work project =) Thanks for the vid

1 Like

Just be sure to put the fence over the ā€œkeepā€ side and the waste side should be visible.
Or else youā€™ll be off by the width of your blade.

1 Like

Well it was a shaky start but I got there. The first cuts I gave myself some extra room for error. Glad I did because the clamps wernt tight enough lol.
Still got all my fingers, and stayed outside the lines I needed to.
Just got a bit more to cut tomorrow. And on to sanding to the line, may be even get onto the glue up.

4 Likes

Ok, so I got new blades for the jigsaw I borrowed and had much more square cuts. I still dont like the saw tho lol

I got the cheeks cut out and gave it a quick fit to see how its gonna lookā€¦

Its starting to look like a thing!
Although I am tempted to make a new one with the new blades and do it better/neater.
Ill see how much I can save this one first. Im just not sure how much sawdust and glue I can add before its no longer a woodwork project and it turns to craft/moulding XD

Abit of sanding off the edges and trying to resquare it all should help.

5 Likes

If you cut notches in the top you have a groovy guitar rack for when you need to start over at twice the size. Great stuff.

4 Likes

Ive got some wall hangers for my guitars, im just not confident enough to randomly drill into the wall XD. knowing me ill hit a gas line. on the plus side all my riffs will be fire =P

Thanks for the kind words.

2 Likes

Make sure you use wood glue with the screws for extra strength.

4 Likes

Will do, at this rate its going to be at least 10 percent glue =P

3 Likes

Considering how much glue is in plywood, it might be a higher percentage than that!

2 Likes

True. My very first wall hanger blew all the Electrics in my home. After that I used a metal detector app on my phone. 18 hangers later and I only had to re do two more electrical cables. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My dad used to do pretty well just knocking on the wall and listening, but thatā€™s been literally hit and miss for me. My favorite stud finder is one like this:

Essentially itā€™s just a very strong magnet in a housing. When itā€™s on top of a nail, you know it.

2 Likes

I see that the jigsaw tore away at the edges of your wood a little, using some masking tape and a finer toothed blade can help prevent that. However this advice is too little too late.
If youā€™re wondering how you can make that look better, might I suggest seeing if you can borrow a router and a bit to round off the edges. Will give a nice uniform curved edge effect and conceal any sins!

3 Likes

Right then, So yesterday i got some more sheet wood to try again at this case building with the new jigsaw i got for xmas.
everything is square! or at least much much more square than my last attempt haha!

Ive filmed it but i dont know when ill get a video sorted out from it. just another thing i can slowly work on and not go insane over lockdown =D
eventually ill make a little playlist of Case, PSU then onto modules.

Yesterday i sketched it out. Today i chopped it up and hopefully tomorrow ill get my rails cut to size and start drilling pilot holes. test fitā€¦ and possibly glue up?

i still got some tear out, but its not too bad, i just want to make some bleeping bloops already! XD
Im going to paint it eventually anyways.

5 Likes

Looking great! Iā€™m thinking about adding a second angled case to complement the one I currently have.
Still have a long way to go before I start building, but its never to early to plan!

1 Like

Consider putting a couple of wood strips across the back, nailed or screwed at top and bottom of each. Itā€™ll make things a lot more sturdy.

3 Likes

I had started doing digital planning in blender when i started making panel designs months ago.
but that was a modest 4 u at 50cmā€¦ Now its a bit more beefy and somewhat taller haha!

Im thinking i might use that other case as a guitar stand as suggested by Farabide =)
gonna cut some notches in and add dowels at the bottom to keep the guitars stable.

Ohh thats a nice looking job! hmm imagine adding cleats to the back and being able to store them on the wall!

I have an idea for the back, im going to add a rim of the other bar i bought (it was too chunky to use as rails) and add a flat square on the backā€¦ then my plan isā€¦ something with LEDsā€¦
ill probably need to add a couple for buss boards any way thinking about it.