Drums - what are you guys doing?

What are you guys doing for drums?

Originally I thought I’d go BIG BUTTON and wav trigger. Got the wav trigger to work, but I think I might be hooped on the BIG BUTTON due to firmware updates and code I can’t figure out how to correct. Plus, I want to solder wires, not learn C++ and debug someone else’s program!

I’d definitely got the bug to build instead of buy.

Show me your rigs?

2 Likes

Built a couple of Barton drum modules recently. They sound okay, if you find good knob settings. The trigger inputs seem like they could use work though — they double trigger if I send them a KeyStep gate (on gate off as well as on), unless I run it through a buffer first. I think they may be too sensitive, and triggering on ringing at the end of the gate, or something.

2 Likes

i made a Thomas Henry BD++ , a very good kick module

the Snare/tom module

this module for High Hat :

and also a CMOS Noise Bell

and before having a BeatstepPro I would manage all this stuff with the Big Button

7 Likes

I really love my Drumbrute Impact, which incidentally I bought right after watching Sam’s video about it. He still uses it sometimes, mostly I think for recording. The bass is super thumpy.

3 Likes

Is the BIG BUTTON code kinda glitchy? I was hoping to build it and would love to know before I buy everything haha

2 Likes

There are multiple versions of the code in circulation, and multiple tweaks to the design, and seems people sometimes have trouble finding the right combination. Much more in this thread:

5 Likes

I recently bought a Vermona DRM I MK III. Great analog drum synthesizer, it’s much more than a normal drum machine. It has 8 sounds with a lot of parameters that u can tweak for each of them and 8 individual outputs, in addition to normal stereo output. It reaches its full potential when plugged into a mixer, the distorsion that u get from the preamps is great!
I know it’s not a module but it’s midi controllable and it can also have CV inputs. When sequenced it can be a nice thing to add to your system (and it’s rack mountable)!

3 Likes

I adore that thing. Super punchy.

2 Likes

Yeah it’ s an amazing sounding machine! The only bad thing is the snare I would say

1 Like

I am using LDB-2e and 2x from Delptronics with a BeatStep Pro to trigger them.

I am considering getting something different here soon, I want more variety.
But for a beginner set up, its amazing :slight_smile:

1 Like