Banana Plugs/Cables?

It may sound stupid, but i did a lot a research and here’s the deal: In my country there’s no brands of modular synths (btw there is no brands of synths at all) with means that there’s no patch cables around to be easy bought. Of course there’s the 1/4 and 3,5mm cables but they are for another uses witch means that: 1 - They arent the size that i need, 2- they dont have several colors 3 - I thought about building then but the price would be the same to buy from US, Europe or China (and the BRL now is 5x cheaper than USD).

Possible solution: Banana cables and build the modules with banana jacks. There are a LOT cheaper and a LOT easier to find parts and build it. I know that there are not grounded and i was wondering if i will found some issues along the way. I won’t be interacting with any synths or whatever so i know that it will be okay in this matter

What do you guys think?

6 Likes

Look into building a Lunetta Synth or SERGE.
They tend to run ground on the cases and you will not have to worry about 1/4" or 3.5mm cables :slight_smile:
Check out Castle Rocktronics for some inspiration.

6 Likes

They seems like a good option! MFOS single board synths are kinda like this, but i was wondering if it is ok to just substitute 1/4 jacks to banana jacks from kosmo modules for example and what mods that i will have to do

3 Likes

Discussed in this thread (and possibly elsewhere):

3 Likes

This means if you are interacting Kosmo modules with the banana jacks built modules right?

2 Likes

BRL, is that Brazil’s currency / you are from Brazil? Have a look at this: The Story of Brazil’s DIY Synth Scene. So maybe no commercial companies build synths but some homemade instruments did see the light of day as e.g. the Anvil Machine, the JolyMod, the Monsterdrone and the Sonus Inflecto.

7 Likes

Yes i am! Very interesting article! DIY Synths is the only possibility around here, i imagined it was something like that in the past… Arthur Joly have a Build DIY Analog Synths course if im not mistaken… quite expensive tho lol

4 Likes

Yes. That’s exactly what I meant.

5 Likes

Where are you guys gettting banana plugs? And what gauge wire? I tried some cheap ones off Amazon and they were unusable with 18 AWG wire, in fact I have my doubts about using them with any gauge, frankly. Not for my synth, that’s 1/4" audio, but for benchtop power supply etc.

1 Like

I got mine from AliExpress. Sockets were fine but plugs vary so I had to crimp sleeve ends on any thin wire. Oddly enough some old plugs from RS components bought over 20 years ago are deeper and much better.

1 Like

For DIY I use these.
they hold up incredibly well, and fit nice and snug in the banana sockets.

2 Likes

i think it fits up to 14g.
but I am gonna try out 16g

I ordered some 20g without thinking and its way too small lol

2 Likes

If you pair down a few copper strands and use crimp ferrules you can attach thicker wire to smaller plugs.
Or bulk up thin wires.

2 Likes

i usually buy Pomonas and Buchlas… lol
I just needed a few extra for some diy stuff :smiley:

1 Like