Electric Druid VCLFO

Hi creative people have any of you had problems building this from this circuit diag?

I’m pretty sure i got the layout correct but when connected up to my Frequency Central power supply I get nada, nothing, I’m going to try and rebuild again tomorrow but i’m pretty sure that I copied the layout faithfully.

Any help greatfully received :+1:

1 Like

If you can, take a picture so we can see and compare witcha.

I added the header at the bottom right to enable using my frequency central microbus as the stable power supply. it’s isolated and not connected in this image… the LED feed is also not shown as i had glued LED into panel and it was easier to desolder.

many thanks for your help :+1:

Hi, I already talked to sam about this. I don’t know if its just a unique problem with my circuit, but after looking at the schematic I tried connecting pin 11 to pin 1 instead of to pin 2 on the vclfo chip and then mine worked perfectly.

2 Likes

@Al4critous thank you. I will try this and let you know how it turns out.
I rechecked for continuity and shorts today and found none :+1: . I thought i might have a short due to solder spatter so have made sure that all tracks are separated, where appropriate, and also reheated any joint that looked like it might be suspect :+1:

regards
seano

@Al4critous thanks for the tip :+1: It now works. Not sure if this LFO is audible but i have got some waveforms showing up on my oscilloscope :+1:
I think i used a capacitor of not quite the correct value and not within 10% so will change that out and see what happens :+1:

thanks

seano

3 Likes

here’s the finished hardware! The Electric Druid DUAL VCLFO! :crazy_face:

Next I’ll strip back down to facilitate painting. :+1:

3 Likes

Sam has updated the websites Project Section to include the Pin 11 to Pin 1 Switch -
Another person ran into the Issue on FB and it was addressed yesterday! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I notice that the GND to the switch has changed position too, it has moved to the rail that connects to the centre pin of the 7805 rather than pin 2 of the VCLFO 10 chip rail. Also there is a different jumper connection between pins of the IC, I shall get on and do the modifications and report back.
Thanks Sam :+1: :sunglasses:
Just noticed Output to Frequency pot now come from Pin 1 of the VCLFO 10 and not from the pin 11 rail :+1:

3 Likes

thanks for posting this! :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

have you tested it with this last schematic ? or someone else
thanks

Hey folks!

I just finished my Electric Druid VCLFO according to instructions V1.2. For some reason Frequency and Waveform pots are instantly getting burned :(( any advice please?

You mean smoking hot ?
They are supposed to be 10K, so even if connected between -12V and +12V (they are supposed to be connected between 0 and +5V…) the max current will be 2.4mA, or 50mW, which any usual pot should be able to handle.

Only cause I can imagine is a lower value pot…

Yes, they started to flash and smoke. I used 10k pot as described in the picture. I also checked all components and wires several times and everything seems to be soldered correctly.

The actual LFO generate the signal but because pots got burned the frequency and waveform stay the same.

What pots are you using? As @eric says, it seems unlikely that this happens if everything’s wired up correctly (the pot has 5 V across it, and the wiper is connected to a high-impedance analog input, so there’s not much load on the potentiometer…).

This is the circuit board and pots (10k linear).