Cheap ebay toy piano organ thingy

Hey! I was thinking about building a organ like the furby organ but instead of furbies i will use these guys https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-Piano-Musical-Developmental-Toy-Toddler-Kids-Learning-Educational-Toys-C0H7/313025948776?hash=item48e1ccec68:g:oqAAAOSw2A9eaipy

If anyone has any type of experience with these things, please let me know by replying to this thread.

-Ozule

1 Like

That’s an… interesting pattern of (non functional?) black keys…

2 Likes

They dont function. But its an intresting pattern for sure!

3 Likes

Have you gotten your hands on one? Odds are there’s a COB (a black blob with a chip under it) and not much else inside (I somehow doubt toddlers care about tuning accuracy :slight_smile: and there’s enough ultracheap “sound chips” out there to make it unlikely that they use a cheap microcontroller). If there’s nothing else to tweak, playing with the supply voltage may have some impact (or it’ll just produce horrible noises).

2 Likes

I havent got one yet, but i will order one. It will take like 40 days to arrive but im only 12 so i dont want to risk my money on buying them in bulk just to see if they have any proper parts that can be circuit bent.

2 Likes

If nothing else you can rig up a way to play multiple ones from a single keyboard, but it doesn’t look like there’s any provision for varying the sound. Something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baby-Kids-Musical-Educational-Animal-Farm-Piano-Developmental-Music-Toy-Gift/362502158218 might offer more interesting possibilities.

for this kind of thing it is better to do the secondhand trades to find older keyboard toys, as said @fredrik it is surely a black blob inside a modern toy like this one, while in the old there is resistance for the speed of sound, which can easily be replaced by a pot

1 Like

But if the intention is

presumably one wants several of them, and finding them one at a time in thrift stores may not be feasible. With Furbies at least presumably enough of them were made and sold that one can find 48 of them with enough determination and cash, but not so much random toy keyboards unless a pallet of them turns up in a forgotten corner of a warehouse.

So the challenge is to find something hackable but available at low cost in quantities of (however many)… not so easy.

1 Like

yes indeed, but it may not be necessary that they are all the same ???, and if they are not bendable there is not really of interest I find