Cheap Component Search

I have to up my knob game. Its always the last thing i think about and it kills me later.

2 Likes

That is so me in my twenties when I was a sweet young thing in ridiculously obvious tight corduroy.

2 Likes

Pretty fly like Carl Sagan.

3 Likes

Carl Sagan is lovely in or out of corduroy but he would not have gone for the trousers I wore in the summer of 1978. I don’t think they make them any more. Imagine corduroy of the softest most sensuous cotton, with 5mm wales of considerable depth. I was young and pretty and dammit I was going to buy two pair and wear them to death.

5 Likes

I bet everyone could hear you comin for miles.

5 Likes
1 Like

If like me you derive a huge amount of satisfaction from politely halting items on their way to landfill and ripping their guts out to repurpose as some musical doodad then you might find this link useful

Lots of advice for all brands of scrounging from freegans to scrap kings. Links to sites where you live and what’s legal too. Watch out for the trash cops!!

I used to use freegle etc. But oddly enough since @lookmumnocomputer started more people are taking to selling for hard coin on eBay in the hope their stuff will attract Sam’s interest. Yes! Its all the museum of everything else’s fault … fair play though. :wink:
If anyone in the group has any scrounging tips, search terms, sniping tool tips, spare test equipment etc do share.
Best to all

5 Likes

Thinking of Sam’s upcoming huge delay I’ve just seen 10x PT2399 SOP on aliexpress for £0.70.
70p! Its like the 70‘s all over.

https://m.de.aliexpress.com/item/33039660463.html?_randl_currency=GBP&_randl_shipto=GB&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=9604713100&albag=99283534296&trgt=296904913880&crea=en33039660463&netw=u&device=m&albpg=296904913880&albpd=en33039660463&gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXqUjipsWyaLJmXWihir9H1EqzaFsgQWpK2nJOY0KRvh9JnFSQiuz-hoCtEUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 Like

Just as an aside, there are legal ramifications for dumpster diving depending on where you live. Most garbage resides on private property, so even if you saw a good find, it very well may be illegal for you to drive off with it.

Source: I have scavenged copper from collecting trash off the road, and properly disposing of it.

3 Likes

All the dumpster diving links for my country are about food hahahaha
I dont think I can make nice sounding oscillators with rotten avocados though :frowning:

3 Likes

As I said. Local legalities are mentioned on this site. In the uk it’s not trash if there’s an owner so always best to ask.

2 Likes

Damn! Well I’m sure there’ll be others.
Leave the avocados out and sample the flies or get a copper nail and a zinc one and power something. Just ignore the smell.

3 Likes

Now I’m envisioning an Iron Synth show where all the contestants are given something like a rotting avocado and they have to use it to make a synth track.

7 Likes

Last word on this for now. Trash makes a great gift to any DIY musician or maker. Just last week someone dumped an old Yamaha PSR 300 and x-stand in the commercial waste bin of my girlfriend’s shop. She, being the loving and best type of girlfriend, fished them out and brought them to me.

4 Likes

you have a good woman there …

3 Likes

Oh don’t she know it!
Trained chef. Owns her own business.
Grade 8 in a couple of instruments
Used to sing with Sheila Jordan
And has a thing for old beardy disabled musicians. Meh! She’ll do :wink:

5 Likes

Would anyone be interested in ordering together some Alpha IC’s?
I can get a good price if I order 10+ IC’s of the same type.
I would like to order 5x AS3340, 5x AS3360, and a couple AS3310.

PM me.

1 Like

6.35mm jacks

Cheap
6.35MM 1/4" STEREO PHONE JACK
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/6-35mm-1-4-stereo-phone-jack.html
$0.45 £0.35

Fancy
6.35MM 1/4" MONO CHASSIS SOCKET / JACK
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/6-35mm-1-4-mono-chassis-socket-jack.html
$0.87 £0.67

^ From @caustic’s post above - before I put a big (100+ jacks) order in, does anyone have experience with ordering either of these jacks from Tayda?

I once tried to save money by ordering cheap jacks for a series of guitar pedals I was building. The jacks were so poor that they literally fell apart whenever you plugged a jack in (which meant I then had to order the jacks I was trying to avoid buying in the first place).

Wanted to see whether anyone had any experience on the quality of these before I pulled the trigger.

1 Like

for me no problem with the first one

1 Like

The first ones are quite good.
Lot’s of people here are using these.

2 Likes