Behringer UMC 404 HD troubles

I have done all the steps to remove old Drivers that may bother me. I have tried with the versions. 5.0. , 4.59, 4.38 and 2.3 … and I still have the same problem

I tried other interfaces, and they also have the same problem. So I think it’s a problem with something in the system, something with the Drivers … I don’t know, it’s really frustrating. Behringer support doesn’t even help me

1 Like

Lets try this, lets try to get the same configuration as what i have just to see.

Just to be clear, what you experience is the popping crackling right? Is it when you play any audio?

We also should make sure how you are connecting your outputs.

1 Like

I have everything configured as your photos. The problem is that when I play the project with less than 8192 buffer samples, the cracklings and pops begin … and everything ends with the immediate closure of the program due to a CPU overload !!!

1 Like

You mentioned a project, what software are you running? Whats your ASIO configuration in there?

You will have crackles and pops if you dont select the right device in your audio settings. here is an example in FLStudio:

Studio One 5.0.1

Before doing the first reset of my PC, the option of 8192 samples appeared, and the option EXTRA SAFE mode. Now it is automatically configured the way it appears in the photos

1 Like

just to be sure, can you show me the other options in the dropdown?

Hi folks,
I don’t wanna hijack this thread, just thought it via Google and have similiar problems.
I just got my UMC404HD yesterday and also have problems with pops.
My setup consists of a relatively powerful laptop(i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz ), conntected via USB to the UMC, and a Behringer CRAVE in the input 1. I’m working with Ableton and the ASIO driver.

When I set the buffer size 512 samples, the latency is audible(I:9,83ms, O:8,50ms), and live-recording becomes an annoyance. With a 256 buffer, the latency is fine(I:5,17ms, O: 4,50ms), but I already get pops/cracks even on a simple two-track project. My CPU load is constantly <10%.

I basically bought this audio interface to reduce latency without getting pops. To me it feels like with the UMC I get the same latency/pops I get with my onboard soundcard, which seems ridicilous. Am I missing something, or is that result to be expected?

Hey, no prob. the more examples the better. One thing i suspect is that people are not selecting the correct device in their software. Can you show me your ASIO settings in Ableton?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Here’s a screen of my configuration:

1 Like

Hey, try lowering your sample rate to 44100. Normally, sample rates over 48000 hace CPU issues, so it just might be that. 96000 is a bit overkill anyways.

Whatever sample rate you choose in your daw should also probably match what windows sees. You configure that in the windows sound settings.

Do this for your 3-4 outs and your inputs as well.

I followed your advice and lowered the sample rate to 44100 for all IO. I still get cracks and pops when trying to use a buffer size of 256, but for now I just use 512 and work with a negative delay in Ableton, that kinda works out. I’m just worried, could it be a problem with the device, and should I return it while I still can? Or is the issue with my PC/setup?

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate it!

1 Like

So, with the 512 buffer it works with no pops? Thats what im running.

It does, but then I’m getting overall latency > 20ms, which I find hard to work with. Is that usual?

Also another issue I just came across. Is it possible that audio interfaces alter the sound/eq? I listened to Spotify through the interface and noticed a lot of low ends missing. I switched to a direct aux connection from my PC to my speakers, and the low end was much fuller. Is there something I can do about that?

My latency is around 13 ms. The tone of the sound should not be altered by the interface. Do you have other audio software that EQs which could be interfering?

Ah true, almost forgot about that. I use a Dell XPS 2020 which has this awful “MaxxAudio Pro” preinstalled, and I haven’t found a way to permanently get rid of it. Thanks for the nudge.

1 Like

@Caustic
Wow it’s been a while since I’ve been active. Sorry to keep anyone waiting for more answers. I have not as of yet fixed the issues on my windows PC, and they do seem to eb and flow in intensity every now and then. I am however planning on trying the interface under linux/chromebookOS to see if I get the same issues still.

If there are any other things you want to know just let me know. I’m glad to provide all the information I have.

1 Like

Hey there! I was having a similar problem with my Mac. I looked into it, and I found this Sweetwater page indicating that it is a firmware compatibility issue with certain USB 3.0 chipsets. It has a link to a download, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I Googled around the file name for a bit, but no luck thus far. Maybe Behringer support can help out? Unfortunately for me, the firmware can only be updated on Windows machines. Hope this works for you and anyone else who has this issue.

@chabuya @Maselone tagging you as well.

1 Like

That links to the 1.12 version of their firmware.

The most up to date version is 5.0 for windows.

1 Like

The Behringer website has the drivers whereas the Sweetwater page is referring to the firmware if I understand correctly are two different things. Unless the firmware is included with the drivers?