Behringer UMC 404 HD troubles

Sorry, thought you were referring to drivers. Lookin into this firmware deal, this specific firmware update can actually be found on the UMC202’s site, but not on the UMC404HD.

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download/software/behringer/UMC/BEHRINGER_UMC_Firmware_v1_12.zip

I downloaded the firmware and bundled with it came some documentation. This file appears to be the same one referenced by the sweetwater article, but the documentation does not mention windows versions newer than 8.1, and lists the UMC404 which may very well be it’s own distinct product.

I’d say flash this firmware at your own risk, but it seems at least corroborated by the sweetwater article. It also appears this firmware is used for many of their audio interfaces, and the lack of inclusion of the UMC404HD from the hardware support could simply be a result of the product releasing after the document’s creation.

Checking my own device, it appears to be this firmware version already. Can you check your UMC control panel and screenshot it for posterity? I just want to note that @foorje who originally made this thread because they were having issues despite working with v1.12 revision.

1 Like

Interesting.

Having trouble finding that information on MacOS at the moment. Will get back to you if I figure it out.

1 Like

Just to add, this weekend I used this interface with an Ubuntu based distro and the kernels drivers worked immediately no problem.

I think you might be into something with the firmware deal, since some people could receive hardware preflashed with the current firmware, and others could be not so lucky or have an older product.

This seems like it might be the key. I’ll keep looking into it and check back here to see if any progress has been made. I’ll also reach out to Behringer support to see what is going on.

1 Like

Fashionably slow as always. I got a chromebook and a macbook pro early 2008 now to also test on. Will do some tests this weekend and see what they do. The chromebook is dual boot (chromeOS/lubuntu) and the macbook is linux (mint). I can probably even try to hook it up to my phone. We’ll see what happens then.

Also just a quick thank you to everyone who has so far tried to weigh in on this thread. The problem seems to be common enough that it probably warrants some kind of official diagnosis from Behringer but I doubt we’ll get that anytime soon.

2 Likes

Another big pause, I just tried it with the chromebook. It works… pretty much flawlessly with that. No pops or crackles, no problems. Alsamixer seems to pick up pretty much all the in and outputs too.

At this point I’d either chalk it up to my computers USB, windows fuckery, or some kind of weird ground interference.

Unfortunately not a real solution but it’s some kind of closure at least.

Edit: I did install the new drivers from Behringer and those made no difference. However they did add some more in/output combos in windows which is nice.

1 Like

Later here to give my conclusion for now.

I have unfortunately not been able to fix my issues with the behringer. Therefore it’s now relegated to being used just for inputs (mics etc). I’m using a fiio dac/amp as my output now.

THIS helped in my case. Thank you!
Turning off power saving on every USB bus possible:

Disable USB Power Management

Disabling the USB power management allows you to free up bandwidth on the USB bus, which will help with device recognition and driver installation issues. To turn it off, follow the steps below:

1. Open the Control Panel
  2. Click on Hardware & Sound
  3. Click on Device Manager under the Devices and Printers section
  4. Click the triangle next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  5. Double-click on the first USB Root Hub item
  6. Click on the Power Management Tab
  7. Uncheck the box that says “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” and click OK
  8. Do this for all USB Root Hub and Generic USB Hub items
1 Like