Behringer UMC 404 HD troubles

Well since the pops are a result of gaps, it actually is pretty sensible that a change in frequency of the source would change the frequency of the “pop”. If a sample is dropped because of starvation, that sample rate isnt going to wait. It will just go on ahead, and empty what is in the buffer, which when there is a “pop” thats when the buffer was empty.

Now, if the samples before and after that “pop” are lower, that “gap” is going to only make the difference more noticeable.

At any rate, time for more troubleshooting try some of these:

Go to your device manager and disable all devices that isnt your audio interface. I did not have to do this, but you might have a different situation. It did not negatively impact me.

I have seen others say that disabling 3.0 USB controllers fixes the issue when its related to the mobo. That would be annoying i know.

Lastly, someone mentioned the power settings for these USM roots. specifically disabling the “allow computer to turn off this device to save power” part.

2 Likes

One thing I noticed with my computer when editing my music (which may be unrelated to this situation) is that the CPU clock may drop when Windows thinks your PC isn’t busy - it’s part of the power saving stuff.

I’ve had a variety of artifacts caused by the CPU clock drop, so I simply disabled power saving (I think I set power mode to something like ‘fastest’ or ‘max’ or something) when editing music.

1 Like

I’ve already done that as this was suggested elsewhere on another forum.
I haven’t tried disabling the USB 3.0 controllers. Will do that now.

After restarting my pc, there seems to be no difference. I’ve only been able to disable one of the “USB 3.0 HUBS”

I have also disabled this everywhere.

Will try this.
After changing it, and going somewhat deeper into the power management settings to also disable suspsending of usb etc in there, nothing has changed unfortunately.

I am also working with the behringer support right now, and if anything significant happens with them I’ll post updates here.

5 Likes

Hey @foorje, any update on this? Been battling this for years with no resolution.

Please post some details about your problem. I still have mine, and have had no issues, but will help if i am able.

1 Like

I’m able to make the issue go away after restarting the application sourcing the crackilly audio. So if Firefox starts crackling out of nowhere, it won’t go away until I close out and reopen Firefox. This goes for any application, and it’s random for when it gets triggered. I have a belief that multiple audio stream sources at differing bit rates triggers the crackling even when I don’t allow applications to take control of the UMC404HD. When I max out the UMC404HD driver sampling rate, you’ll hear multiple crackles. When I minimize the sampling rate, the same crackling will take place but with less crackles. It happens around the same interval into the audio stream (~4 seconds from start and semi-random there after).

Do you give exclusive control of your device to any application when this happens?

Are you using windows?

Have you installed the UMC Drivers?

Does this happen only when using an application like a DAW that can connect to asio devices?

If using windows, are you hooking up the playback outputs (in the back) to your speakers?

Are exclusive mode and enhancements turned off?

Do you give exclusive control of your device to any application when this happens?

I don’t believe so. I typically only use Spotify and Firefox and close as much as I can in the task manager while troubleshooting.

Are you using windows?

Yes

Have you installed the UMC Drivers?

Yes. I’ve tried working with the most recent driver, a previous driver release, and without the driver. The problem seems to go away when I use the default Windows driver, but a few applications don’t work well without the driver (Spotify refuses to play any songs for instance).

Does this happen only when using an application like a DAW that can connect to asio devices?

I’m just a simple audio file. I don’t have applications that connect to asio devices.

If using windows, are you hooking up the playback outputs (in the back) to your speakers?

Yes. XLR cables to a pair of JBL 305P MkII.

Are exclusive mode and enhancements turned off?

For damn sure.

Can you check whether the “playback outputs” which use TRS 1/4" or RCA has this noise? I know you might would rather use the “main outputs”, but I just want to see.

Can you check the same in the headset monitor jack on the front?

If possible, can you capture what this sounds like? This can help identify whats going on as well since crackly audio can mean a lot of different things.

This could also be some weird windows 10 app preferences that it does nowadays.

Have you changed any of the UMC driver settings? Can you screen cap these settings, but for yourself?

Can you check whether the “playback outputs” which use TRS 1/4" or RCA has this noise?

I bought “1/4” cables to try this out, and the problem persists.

Can you check the same in the headset monitor jack on the front?

First thing I checked. Definitely happens on the speakers at the same exact time as the headphones (same crackle sound figure).

If possible, can you capture what this sounds like? This can help identify whats going on as well since crackly audio can mean a lot of different things.

For sure. I’ll have to do it later, but I’ll get around to it. I just have to trip up again. On a low sample rate setting in the UMC Control Panel Buffer Settings, it’s one blip after ~4 seconds of an audio source starting. On a high sample rate setting in the UMC Control Panel Buffer Settings, it’s several quick blips after ~4 seconds of an audio source starting. That’s just for a text description in the meantime.

PS: I can’t thank you enough for putting in the time to help out.

1 Like

So, I want to try something new. I found some nice software that can shift some audio devices around in a kinda virtual mixer. Its donationware, so you can use for free.

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm

Try selecting The UMC ASIO Driver for your Hardware out.

If my theory is correct, the crackles are from MMC drivers being poopie.

Hi @Caustic @foorje !!! I’m having the same Problem

PC INFO:

• 32 gb RAM
  • 1 TB SSD
  • 1 TB HHD
  • Core I7 9th gen
  • WINDOWS 10
  • INTEL UHD 630
  • NVIDIA GTX 1650

I have the UMC 202HD interface and the STUDIO ONE 5 for DAW.

I had to reset my PC, and before I did it,I had up to 8192 in the BUFFER SIZE and the EXTRA SAFE mode. After restoring my PC, the DRIVER was automatically installed and now I only have 2048 Buffer Size available and the SAFE mode. Therefore my project is not working well. (CPU OVERLOAD, SOUND CRASHES💥)

• I already reset my PC more than 3 times
  • I upgraded from Windows 10 HOME to PRO
  • I already updated all my Drivers
  • I already updated my windows Update
  • I installed DriverBooster Pro 8 to install other Drivers
  • I have already optimized energy for high performance
  • I already optimized the entire PC for good CPU performance (disabled Windows Update, background apps, Apps on startup, boot with all processors, ram memory at 100%, disabled other unnecessary Windows services)
  • Reinstall the same version of my DAW
  • UMC Behringer DRIVER versión 5.00

I only manage to have 2048 Samples with a Sample Rate of 44.1khz and unfortunately I have pops and cracklings … there are times when the option of 8192 Samples appears, but when I select it, it automatically decreases to 2048 and the options of 4000 and 8192 disappear samples

Any solution??? :pray::pray::pray:
Thanks !

Ill take a deeper look with ya later today. First thing to mention is i do not recommend use of software like DriverBooster Pro 8. These types of software isnt necessary, and can actually be problematic.

To start, can you post screenshots of the tabs for the UMC Control Panel?

I just reset my PC for the fifth time … I hope everything is fixed from 0 … it goes to 66%

Im sorry, what goes to 66%?

Basically the installed version of the UMC DRIVER was 5.0.0. It had a Sample Rate of 44.1 khz and 2048 as the maximum buffer size. Before resetting my PC the first time, I had the option to choose my Sample Rate, Extra Safe Mode and 8192 buffer size

I had to reset my PC for the fifth time … the system installation of WINDOWS 10 pro is at 66%

The latest stable driver release is 4.59.0, not 5.0.0. not sure where you downloaded the drivers from, but that could be partly your issue.

Here is the direct link from Behringer’s site.
https://mediadl.musictribe.com/download/software/behringer/UMC/UMC-Driver_4-59-0.zip

After your windows install finishes, do not install driver management software. We dont need more things complicating this.

If windows installs some poo poo drivers for the interface, we might need to remove them and boot in safe mode to install the correct drivers.

1 Like

UMC driver 5.0.0 from OFFICIAL PAGE of Behringer… look that ! Is available since February

Have you followed these instructions to the letter?

This driver version mentions that a windows driver is needed:

If this does not work, we can try the older version and see if that works for you.