Barton 4046 Wave Shaper

I’m thinking the same thing. I have to say, this is my favorite module to date after 3 years of building. Definitely making more of these. Working on a new layout for the Wave Animator now. Here’s the rig as of today.

10 Likes

What I think you can do is take the 4040N outputs into the control inputs of an analog switch, take the control voltages into the signal in pins, and then take the signal outs into a mixing node. Not that I’ve tried it although I have something like it on my to try list. Would it need pulldowns on the signal outs? I suspect so.

Haha! I’m notnthat advanced. I was thinking vactrols for each division. That may get too silly.

1 Like

Please pop this in the verified stripboard thread. I have an organ module I want to hardwire this into. It looks and sounds wonderful.

2 Likes

Thanks! I never remember to search first.

Ashamed to say I found my own likes on the stripboard post. Feeling very old and senile now :frowning:

4 Likes

I use the bookmark facility a lot, though I’ve only just now started to organise the bookmarks so I can make some kind of sense of the posts. You can put a title on the bookmark explaining why you thought the post was interesting.

2 Likes

i post the good stripboard in this thread (after some add in the thread “Verified stripboard layout”)

i add a vactrol for CV In, with an attenuator pot and a rotary switch to choose which pot is affected by the CV, i have not a 7 positions switch but only 3

8 Likes

The more I look at my schem, the more I find it strange, and wonder if the wire of the LDR should not go to the resistance 100k rather than directly to the pot …?
to test when I have the CD4046 which should arrive in 1 or 2 days

2 Likes

THANK YOU for this!! I stopped working on the original one after there were some problems that you found with the original stripboard layout. I’ll go back and try this one again. Thanks Dud! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

it’s not the Barton Wave ANIMATOR about you think ?

Ahhh…nevermind, but I like this one better anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

i have tested the module : excellent !

but not my CV add

i make another schem that i’ll tested this afternoon

6 Likes

Sweet! Glad it’s working for you!

1 Like

thanks, allways happy when all work well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s what I’m thinking of doing but I won’t get to it right away, maybe you can get ahead of me:

Add a couple of 4066 analog switches. (Or just one if you don’t want to CV everything.)

Connect each 4040 output to a control input on the 4066.

Connect a CV to each switch input. (Attenuator on each CV of course, and input normalized to +5V or whatever.)

Connect the switch outputs to a mixer. There needs to be a pulldown resistor here on each, experiment for best value.

Also I’m thinking about the output capacitors. Barton has 100nF with 100k resistor, for a 100 Hz cutoff which I think is high. So I might use 1uF. Then again, thinking of it some more, maybe it makes more sense for each stage to have ~2x larger capacitor than the previous. E.g. 10nF, 22nF, 47nF, 100nF, 220nF, 470nF, 1uF or something.

5 Likes

I have already done the panel, just some little modification for CV but the circuit is already made too, so sorry but I could not take any lead on all these good ideas

3 Likes

In this idea of yours, what would the 4066 connect the output of the 4040 to? And what would control the 4066?

1 Like

By “connect to a control input” I mean the 4040 controls the 4066.

Input is CV and output is signal output, i.e. a pulse wave with amplitude equal to the CV.

So for instance CV to pin 1, 4040 to pin 13, pin 2 to mixer.

2 Likes

So if I understand this correctly: in stead of adding square waves you would then be able to add pulses sampling a more arbitrary wave determined by the shape of the CV signal? That’s quite clever!

2 Likes