Australian AC to AC wall plug

I’m new to modular synth and stuff and really keen to put my diy skills to use. I’m planning on building the power supply pcb that’s used in the diy case/power supply video:

Unfortunately I live in upside down land and I can’t for the life of me find an AC to AC plug to power it with from the wall. Is there something I’m missing here or can you just not get them in Australia? If so, is there another way for me to cheaply power my modules? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum GOP. You dont need AC to AC. I have put a MeanWell PSU into a box from Jaycar with two leads coming out of it. This let me run two racks. I am in Straya as well mate. North of Melbourne.

2 Likes

The FC power supply explicitly requires an AC to AC Wallwart.

3 Likes

In the Northern Hemisphere it’s AC-to-AC
In the Southern Hemisphere it’s the upside down AC-to-AC

:smiley:

They will be around, you just need to find them.

However I built my own 240 to 12-0-12 supply even though I had 3 FC boards.

3 Likes

I’m just always wary of the DIY area when it comes to power. The FC power supplies more or less just condition the power, but my concern is when anyone mentions fucking around with “wall power”. I saw on reddit the other day where some folks were looking to build their own transformer, and they were clearly a newbie.

I just don’t want someone coming to this forum, and get some advise that can kill them.

Dont go cheap with safety.

6 Likes

That seems like a good option, something like this? https://www.jaycar.com.au/mean-well-100w-12v-8-5a-power-supply/p/MP3290 Do you get any issues from power ripple with it? It says 120mV and I’m not sure if that’ll be enough to cause issues with audio stuff. Great to see another aussie :slight_smile:

I’m definitely wary with working with wall power and have no plans to build anything more complicated than the FC power supply, don’t worry. If I can’t find anything easy to DIY I’ll find the money for something proper

I typed 12VAC into https://www.ebay.com.au/ and

Is there something wrong with these?

2 Likes

hmm, not sure why I couldn’t find those earlier haha. Only DC stuff comes up when you search 12V AC or AC to AC

1 Like

Also do note that China uses the same wall plug style as us too.
I personally bought a meanwell rt65b and connected it to a kettle cable plug as I have a bunch of those cables floating around.

2 Likes

I have also heard it recommended to get a 2amp, but of course a 1amp will work.

1 Like

My bad for not clicking on the link to the PSU before replying. I am using an Elby Designs modular power system. Made in Australia.

1 Like

Mean Well is a quality brand, but the LRS-100-12 is single DC output.

1 Like