Arturia Keystep Pro

This thing has been on my watch list for months, it looks like its being released later this month.

I have mentioned this controller before, but i think one feature that i didn’t realize was that it has the capability to distribute polyphonic CV across the up to 4 voices.

I was watching this video, and heard that last bit around 1:40

In addition to previous keystep features and some of the obvious extra connectivity, it also adds overdub. LEDs above the keys tell you what notes are in a step. The workflow for managing all of the polyphony seems really intuitive. Auto save is a thing within a project. When i was using my beatstep, i would always lose my progress cause i forgot to save so thats nice. The way the scale quantization was implemented was pretty great (defining a user scale is simple).

I was sold before, but that just blew my mind for value.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been following the shipping dates pretty closely. It’s always a month a way. I don’t have time to watch Batt’s video or consult Arturia right now (but I make time to comment, I know…) have you seen if anyone has documented if it handles chords in the sequences? On the original KeyStep, you could save a chord and play full chords as notes or sequences, but from what I could tell, it was only ever a single chord transposed across a keyboard. I never really needed to use that, but it would be nice to have.

2 Likes

If you are talking about chord mode, it works like every other chord mode. One caveat is, if you setup scale quantization, these chords will quantize because the quantization occurs last in the pipeline.

You can sequence in poly mode, meaning you can have many notes per step. You even can overdub the notes, and select and modify them like by changing pitch or shift left / right.

3 Likes

Damn. They bumped delivery back from next week to next month.

2 Likes

Still shows available April on their site? What happened?

2 Likes

That must be Thomann. I got my Crave through them and the wall wart didn’t come with a US mains clip. It’s gone back to June stateside:
Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 9.07.38 AM

1 Like

wow, that’s less than I thought it was…
I might sell my microBrute to fund some of that thing. lol

…whenever it releases… lol

1 Like

Just saw this tweet from loopop, apparently he’s got one for review and is asking people whether they have questions:

4 Likes

Yeah, I got my questions in on his Patreon feed. Waiting with bated breath, but he usually takes a few days to a week with a piece of new kit. In the meantime, before I commit to buying from Thomann, I’m trying to confirm either that they’d include US Mains with the wall wart or that at least it’s USB powered like its siblings.

Here’s my MS-1 solution to the Thomann wallwart problem:

Not pretty.

1 Like

I saw, i put in a question about the voice routing over cv.

1 Like

It was the arturia site.

1 Like

It just dawned on me what you meant. So…
I went to the Arturia site and it said “Buy now…ships in 2-5 days… yada yada…” and some combination of having known I wanted one for months and being locked caged up like animals and plain old Modern Gas… well, you get the picture. Anyway…
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 9.19.19 AM
(Thanks for the tip, @Caustic.)

2 Likes

Sam x Luna and KSP on IG… :smiley:

6 Likes

<insert sam using a computer outrage meme here>

2 Likes

He did add a #thatsnotacomputer, so I’m sure it’s fine :rofl:

4 Likes

(pretty sure the IG crowd has covered that bit already)

4 Likes

Good, god forbid we not mention a computer every single time we see one. /s

2 Likes

Ziv’s review is up on Patreon.

1 Like

Public on YouTube

3 Likes