AO Noise Bells ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is a percussion and drone synth module based on ideas presented in the 2015 Hackaday article “Logic noise: More CMOS cowbell!” by Elliot Williams. (See also Cmos noise bell .) The PCB and front panel are Kosmo format but the same circuit could be implemented in Eurorack format, or other ±12V formats, with no changes other than PCB, panel, and jack dimensions.

The module consists of two separate sections. One is a 2-oscillator circuit based on the “cowbell” section of the Hackaday article. The other is a 4-oscillator circuit, lying sort of halfway between the “cowbell” and “hi hat” designs and designed to use most of the IC functionality left over from the “cowbell” side. Whether it leans more toward bell or cymbal sounds I leave for you to decide. The two sections differ only in the number of oscillators and XORs used.

Aside from a few component value changes, notably a larger capacitor allowing longer decay times, there are a couple of significant modifications to Williams’s design:

Pots are used for variable oscillator frequencies and amplitude envelope decay rates.

Schematics, Gerber files, BOM, build notes, and other information at GitHub - holmesrichards/NoiseBells: Percussion module based on Hackaday CMOS Noise article

Video:

Extra boards and panels should be up on Tindie early next week. Sold out!

11 Likes

Enjoyed the video! Thankyou

1 Like

great realisation and explication, like allways :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

That’s cool.
I’ll put it in my next PCB order.

Checking the BOM I see this
C1-C6: 100nF polystyrene (Tayda A-564)
C14-C16: 100nF ceramic (Tayda A-564)

A-564 are: # 100NF 0.1UF 100V 5% POLYESTER FILM BOX TYPE CAPACITOR

I guess decoupling caps C14-C16 can use Tayda A-4008, or maybe even need to because of the footprints on the PCB.

2 Likes

Yeah, I used ceramics for decoupling caps, and boxes for the others. I’ll fix the BOM. Thanks for pointing it out.

2 Likes

Long day at work. Time to assemble some bells :slight_smile:

EDIT: Litany incoming…

4 Likes

So nice design, great circuit !! And always good explications in videos !

I have add a vactrol on the decay pot for a cv control, It work enough good ! :slight_smile:

4 Likes