AO MCVI MIDI to CV

I just use 2 15 pin headers - this way I can put components underneath the Arduino.

3 Likes

Woops, my bad! Post edited.

Thx but i was talking about a solution for the stripboard software (“DIY Layout Creator”), because i’ve used a pic of an arduino
In the real world i use 2x15 pin headers too :slight_smile:

Well, you could use 2x15 pin headers in DIYLC. Whether that’s better or not is a matter of taste.

1 Like

Hey, I’m thinking about using your design for the midi in on my monosynth, I was hoping to use the velocity for simple amplitude modulation by controlling the “level cv” of an electric Druid envgen8 chip (0-5v input)

How does that velocity output behave? Does it output a constant velocity value until a new velocity is entered? Or is it just a pulse on key press?

If it’s just a temporary pulse then I’d have to attack the problem some other way, either going for the vca instead of the envelope or use a sample and hold maybe?

2 Likes

On my version, it stays up until a new key is pressed.

3 Likes

I’m using much the same software (some features added and some reorganization but mostly the same algorithm) so should be the same answer. When a key is pressed it generates a gate, a trigger, a pitch CV, and a velocity CV; gate stays on as long as the key is pressed and CVs stay the same until a different key is pressed.

Anyway, it’s software, so if it doesn’t behave how you want, you can change it in software.

3 Likes

This looks great, presume you don’t have any pcbs or panels left over anymore dude?

If not is it just a case of finding someone to print a pcb from your designs? not printed a board before!

No boards left, but not hard to make more:

5 Likes

ah wonderful, gonna check this out. cheers dude

3 Likes

Hi there, sorry to reopen this topic but I’m having trouble to make my MIDI to CV work with arduino… I didn’t want to open a new topic, so I hope someone can help me out here :wink:

I basically followed elkayem’s design for my PCB, but it’s the first time I use arduino and I cannot achieve to even load the code in Arduino IDE (I did also try with an outdated version), there’s always this error :

I don’t have any clue how to correct it so I can upload the code to my arduino…

Any help would be so much appreciated :wink:

1 Like

You appear to be trying to feed it the source code of an HTML page instead of an Arduino sketch.

To get elkayem’s sketch go to midi2cv/midi2cv.ino at master · elkayem/midi2cv · GitHub, click the raw button, and download the result to a file named midi2cv.ino.

3 Likes

Thanks for your quick reply, there was effectively a problem with that… I then had another error about missing libraries, that I found searching a bit online.

But now I have another error message coming up : avrdude “programmer is not responding”, which I’m still triyng to find out how to solve.
Apparently my chinese arduino nano doesn’t allow me to burn the bootloader :confused:
So I’m now waiting to get the arduino uno (not a fake one this time;) ) so I can try to solve my problems…

1 Like

I had this „programmer is not responding“ messages multiple times when I had not set the correct board. Maybe try to switch from old to new bootloader (or other direction) for nano

4 Likes

Thanks Sebastian ! I did try all the configuration possible, with no result… before being told that my arduino nano was deffectuous :frowning: There was no way I could find that out.

Now I just tried with a new (functional) one and magic : it works !

Thanks to all of you

4 Likes

Has anyone verified this stripboard layout as yet?
I’m excited to build this one.

Are you in the states? This was in my list of PCB’s to get made in the next week or two, and I know I won’t need 5 of them. Just in case you didn’t want to go strip board route.

3 Likes

It was on my to do list for my next case, but no new case project for the moment, so not yet build and test this one, sorry.
maybe test it on stripboard before

1 Like

I’m in the UK unfortunately.
Wonder how much it would cost to post?

Tried to quote even the simplest padded envelopes across UPS and USPS and they would all be well over ordering 5 copies shipped directly. Any other cheap shipping items to the UK that you’d recommend? Otherwise stripboard or your own PCB order might make the most sense.