AO Gate Grinder

And prototyping. Would hate to oshpark and it just not work yet.

4 Likes

I have lifted pads on other boards . it is just a matter of being very patient [ not me ] . like clipping components off and taking out individual legs etc.

1 Like

I do find that transistors with their tiny close together pads are particularly prone to lifting.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, you remind me that on the MFOS VCF I had two transistors with close spaced pads and I went through six of them before getting two mounted without a short between them. Scorched the PCB pretty significantly but the pads stayed okay.

Come to think of it, that was a PCBWay board. They say they use the same materials but maybe there’s some difference in their process. Or I just got lucky.

I try to remember to use the wider transistor footprint since then (not always successfully).

3 Likes

Well, I do like a challenge, so no worries :joy:

2 Likes

It was particularly egregious on the Gate Grinder since the BC547s I have have leads bent to a wide spacing. Where’s that dumbassery thread again?

3 Likes

hey at least you are designing and trying to make things work that you are thinking up . I am just trying to get the guts to plug in and trouble shoot proven PCB’s .

4 Likes

There’s this guy on Youtube who keeps saying “Don’t be scared to something something” I dunno something along those lines.

If you told me last December within six months I’d be drawing up schematics* for nontrivial synth modules, designing PCBs, getting them fabricated, and having them work the first time, I would have called you a lunatic.

* non optimal ones, but still

7 Likes

it is only those who do nothing who is not mistaken

3 Likes

I’ve run out of 4148s and don’t have any BC547, which I could have sworn I ordered for something else and got extra. My gate grinder will have to wait :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

What size pull down resistor would be appropriate?

3 Likes

As the CMOS gate’s input impedance is very high and the opamp’s drive is strong, pretty much anything between 1k and 1M would do fine. Since you already have 10k and 100k resistors in that circuit, I’d use one of those.

EDIT: The lower the resistance, the more the wasted energy when the gate is high.

5 Likes

Don’t you have any other small signal diodes lying around? The BC547s are used as switches only, so they should be replaceable by any small signal NPN transistor.

1 Like

Just watch out for the pinout.

1 Like

What is D3’s function? To block potential negative voltages from the opamp?

1 Like

I have the parts now—knew I had to place a big order anyway so didn’t look into substitutes. Going to finish her up tonight!

4 Likes

that is one nice part about these PCB’s and pretty face plates taking so long to get to me I have the parts by then too if I order them at the same time .

2 Likes

Question on this Module’s Repository.

I want to have some made - which version should i use @analogoutput?
I don’t mind if I need to cut the board like you showed a while ago.

2 Likes

You should print his DAC and the quantizer faceplate also if he has it up. I looked for a thread for it but don’t see it…

2 Likes

My grinder works like a charm and is lots of fun!

5 Likes