AO Gate Grinder

The quantizer mechanical design is boneheadedly wrong. I’m figuring out how to fix it but need (as usual) the next but one Tayda shipment.

4 Likes

The v1.0 release is what I had fabbed, warts and all, but is tested. The current version has minor changes which haven’t been tested but ought to be harmless and beneficial. Mainly: Replace output voltage dividers with trimmers; add pulldown resistor on diode->CMOS, shorten PCB. If you do go with v1.0 I recommend replacing the 1.8k resistors in the output dividers with 1.2 to get 5V outputs.

2 Likes

hm - want me to run the second version and send ya one or two?
I wont need all 5 lol.

1 Like

Maybe one if you can’t find other takers… I have enough other stuff in the queue that I probably wouldn’t build a new one any time soon.

2 Likes

okie - i’m doing a batch of my own stuff so i figured I’d run some of yours too :slight_smile:
I’ll run the revision, send ya one, and let you know how the build goes :smiley:

Could also be good giveaway and trade fodder lol.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Josh,

I’ll take an extra face and board you have handy.

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

Video description:

5 Likes

The “off” gate trick is neat I have some things I need to try!

2 Likes

How would I go about getting one of these PCB’s? I think it will come in handy with the drum modules I’m building and the trigger width that they seem to want.

2 Likes

If @d42kn355 doesn’t have any to spare then you can do what they did: get the Gerbers from the repository at https://github.com/holmesrichards/GateGrinder and upload them to JLCPCB or PCBWay or OSH Park or one of those places.

3 Likes

Heyo - I will have some coming soon! Just put in a second order today and 5 MikroKosmos and 5 of the revised Gate Grinder sets coming both in @analogoutput’s original White color scheme - I’ll post up in here when they get in and let people know - 2 are likely up for grabs - 3 are already called for (including myself and Rich and @CTorp if he doesn’t already have one lol)

Would you like me to consider one yours @Riggidyboo ? No charge for the pcb and panel etc. just for shipping :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Josh,

I guess 4 of the revised Gate Grinder sets are called for if I read that right. I’ll claim one set right now. I wonder how many Sam-less Kosmo sets I can buy tomorrow because its been on my mind. I could’ve been charged tonight except there’s no bank branches within about 1.75 hours from me and the bank will open after 9 AM tomorrow when I’ll be taking the commuter train there. There’s Kosmo from @analogoutput and @CTorp I’ve been wanting to pick up ever since I got the Switched Mult to whet my interest.

-Fumu / Esopus

2 Likes

Then I would say 4 are now called for including you @KardashevTypeII - I didnt realize @CTorp already has one :slight_smile:
There is still one left - (2 if @Riggidyboo doesnt respond)

1 Like

I will take one please and thank you.

2 Likes

github confuses me but I found the BOM, not sure I understand R15, R16 resistor is “RL”

2 Likes

Explanatory comment added to BOM

4 Likes

The simple way to dl stuff from github is clicking the clone button and clicking the download .zip file. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Question about the switches -
The BOM says 2 SPST and 2 SPDT… what kind?
Are the SPST’s just ON/ON SPDT’s from tayda?
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/toggle-switch/mini-toggle-switch-spdt-on-none-on.html

And are the SPDT’s On/Off/On?
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/electromechanical/switches-key-pad/toggle-switch/mini-toggle-switch-1m-series-spdt-on-off-on.html

2 Likes

The Tayda ones will work, I actually used the same kind for all four — the on-on SPDTs. Not on-off-on.

4 Likes

Wow, fast response lol - TY :smiley:
Was just finishing up a Tayda order with all these BOM’s sitting next to me that i’ve been to distracted to build lol.
:smiley:

Speaking of which -
Could EVERYONE (@Riggidyboo , @KardashevTypeII , and whoever else, I apologize for my memory ) who wanted a Gate Grinder (updated board) and MikroKosmos please PM me with your address and we can deal with the shipping before I get em out to ya - Will be around 8 bucks :slight_smile:

2 Likes