AO Dual Quantizer

i try to attenuated the white noise with attenuator, tested 3 different noise signal, different trigger, !? it change the note S&H “work” but with a big noise, and it work with LFO and CV, i don’t understand, but i go to check the circuit and the solder …

I took a look, removed the Positivizer and re-did some soldering.
Now the S&H works fine with all the noise sources I have, and the big button for the trigger. Did I not test it correctly or a bad solder …?

But now there is a strange thing, the 2nd quantizer is not working well with the 8 step arduino sequencer CV out.
If I increase the pitch potentiometer of one step, nothing happens for a long time until I have just the end of the scale.
As if up to about 3/4 V he considered that as 0V, while I send him 0 to 5V
I hardly understand
Otherwise with another CV source (joystick module or beatstep) the 2 quantizers work fine.

Strange …

1 Like

Tayda was sold out on A-1893, so i went with A-1643. Unfortunately when I got them it turns out there’s no limiting yoke on that model. The most elegant solution I can think of is to wire the postions opposite each other together so that when you turn past 6 on the ‘Banks’ you’re back at 1.

EDIT: Kinda cool that the space between the rotary switch pins is more or less exactly the length of an 1/8w resistor…

4 Likes

Perhaps I can get some help… I am using these jack sockets:

From the datasheet:

Looking at the first of the model no. PJ629HAN - 1 seems to be S, but what pole are T and TN?

3 Likes

Shucks. I had it right the first time.

3 Likes

I just noticed the edit — yeah, that is nice! Normally I use 1/4 W resistors but I might have to get some 1/8 W next time I need a rotary switch. Definitely neater that way.

2 Likes

Some small amounts of progress - but not much. Both of the potentiometers seem to add their effect together. The toggles and rotary switches seem to do nothing at all except for the occasional flutter in the signal.

I cleaned up some of the resin around the pads - and some of my wires are getting a little crispy after moving them around so many times.

Any suggestions at all?

Talk me through where on the PCB the input CVs and pots are connected.

Hopefully an illustrator file is worth a thousand words!

1 Like

CV1 in should connect to CV A In and CV C In (not CV B). CV2 in via pots should connect to CV B In (not CV C) and CV D In.

2 Likes

Swapped those two around. The two banks do seem to be working independently now and the pots seem to be functioning as expected. The toggles are still not switching anything. The bank and scale controls might require more of a musical ear to know if they are doing what they should!

1 Like

Can I assume you mean you get quantization and it doesn’t stop when you flip the toggle?

The toggles do this

You should have +5 V on the TN terminal for each Trigger jack. With nothing plugged in there the same +5 V should appear on one end terminal of the corresponding toggle switch, and either +5 V or 0 V on the center terminal depending on the switch setting. That should connect directly to Gate In C or Gate In D on the PCB. The circuitry on the PCB inverts and buffers the gate, so the opposite (0 V or +5 V, respectively) should appear on Arduino pins D4 and D5. Check all that with your multimeter and see where it goes wrong.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help! Taking a break for now - hopefully will get to poke at it more on Monday if not before.

Sorry for such a long pause - but I finally managed to get squeeze some time in.

I have 4.6 on the TN terminal for each trigger jack. Wouldnt that be because of the 10K resistor?

Flipping the switches toggles between 0 and 4.22v on the center post.

Sampling D4 and D5 results in toggling between 5v and .05v when the switches are flipped.

Here is a closer look at what is going on with the switches and pots.

If I understand you correctly, you do indeed see a change between 0 V (or actually 0.05 V) and 5 V on D4 and D5 when you flip the toggle switches.

If so that’s correct, and the change should result in a change in the software behavior, quantizing or not quantizing. If you’re not seeing the behavior change then barring a hardware defect in the Arduino, it’d have to be a software issue. Maybe try downloading the software again to make sure you have a good version.

3 Likes

I did what @zorch did and had the cv2 swapped with cv 1 for ch2. Also had the older version of DAC/INO so needed to swap the 100k/1M resistors.

Second quantizer channel seems to be working now but I must have made another mistake on ch1

1 Like

I keep taking breaks between working on mine to keep from getting frustrated with it. I still need to try the software solution. I’m really eager to get it working.

2 Likes

Would it be possible for someone to put together a step by step tutorial for getting the software uploaded onto the board? Its a little confusing to have everything spread over so many various places and it would be nice to know I’m not missing steps or files.

2 Likes

I think the process is going to depend on which OS you’re using and which IDE. All I can suggest is to read the Arduino documentation for whatever you’re using. The Dual Quantizer README does tell you what libraries you need and where to get them.

1 Like