AO Dual Quantizer

If you want to know how to setup arduino stuffs on a windows machine, I cover that here:

I also cover how to get started with coding up a midi controller. i really should revisit that thing cause i barely covered the thing the topic was about.

2 Likes

I can put a traduction of the @eric message, when i ask him to help me in french.

"> First you have to find the “libraries” folder, if you haven’t changed anything in the Arduino DE config, you must have an “Arduino” folder either in your user folder, or in your “Documents” folder .

In this “Arduino” folder there must be a “libraries” folder, that’s it.

If you download the latest version of QuantizerModule from github (it changed a few days ago), you will have a software / Quantizer folder, you just copy the Quantizer folder to libraries.
Likewise, download the latest dac_ino from github, rename the “software” folder to “dac_ino”, and copy it to libraries.
Then you have to download
GitHub - mmarchetti/DirectIO: Fast, simple I/O library for Arduino
You dezip it, rename the folder to “DirectIO”, and copy it to libraries.

For SPI, I think it’s installed by default (it’s on Mac …)

Then open QuantSketch.ino and it should work! "

hope it’s can help you :slight_smile:

@analogoutput , if you want to make this a bit easier for the users, you could add the library as a submodule in your git repo. If you put it inside a src dir inside the sketch dir, you can include it directly from there, no more separate downloading of libs required. Plus you’ll always have control over which version of the lib is used. I did this for the clock divider and the ledControl lib to control the displays. Cheers!

2 Likes

Well, I’ve been twisting my brain for hours for 2 days.

I re-read, bom schem, note, all the thread … compare to my build, re do some solder, a lot of multimeter test … but allways the same things, not good !

All works except that :

I have well 0V on CV OUT with nothing connected.
But if i put a jack (with nothing at the other side) in the CV1 IN i have + 0.85V on the CV Out (and + 1.30V for CV Out B !!!)

by adjusting the trimpot at 1V I was still able to use it in a few recordings but I would really like to find the solution to this problem. I can’t use the second one at all

i also test to increase the 91K resistor near the trimpot, it seems that i can more down the pitch but not sure that allways in tune, i need to do some test but stop for today :upside_down_face:

I need some help,some ideas ?

1 Like

If nothing is plugged in on CV1 it is normalled to ground. If you plug in a cable that connects to nothing then that input is floating and who knows what the Arduino will do with it. A pulldown resistor would fix that.

But if the cable is connected to a 0 V source then you should get 0 V out. You can try measuring the voltage at the Arduino pin. CV1 IN should connect to what’s labeled CV IN A on the dac/ino board and that should connect to Arduino pin A0. With a 0 V source plugged in there should be 0 V on A0. If there isn’t, something’s strange indeed.

If there’s 0 V on A0 and also 0 V on A1, which is where CV2 In goes, and there’s nonzero on CV OUT then the problem would have to be in the software or in the CV output hardware.

2 Likes

Thank you for answering, I could hear that the pitch went up when I sent a cv of 0V, so I tried everything and surely anything, but I would measure the pins of the arduino tomorrow as you suggest.

i really don’t think that come from the hardware (check near 100 x ) … but sometime it’s the 101 :wink: )
can also try to reinstall the software

i hope that tomorrow will be a good day

maybe both :grimacing:

I just made some test with 0V in CVin 1

Quantizer 1
0.25V on pin A1
0.25V CVin 1 (on the board)
1.98V on CV out

0V in pin A0

Quantizer 2
0.58V on pin A2
0.58V on CVin 1 (on the board)
and 3.79V on CV out

???

What’s connected to what? Are there cables plugged into CV1 IN and CV2 IN? If so what do they connect to?

What settings are in use? Which bank and which scale? Do these results change if you change scales? How about if you change attenuation on CV2?

Pins A0, A1, A2 should be:

• First quantizer, CV1
  • First quantizer, CV2
  • Second quantizer, CV1

Pin A3 should be second quantizer, CV2; did you measure that?

Can you measure outputs of the DAC chip?

You can try looking at debug outputs:

1. Disconnect module from power supply
  2. Connect Arduino to computer with USB
  3. In QuantSketch.ino change the line
#define DEBUG false

to

#define DEBUG true

and load onto Arduino
4. Open serial monitor in Arduino IDE at 9600 rate
5. See what appears

It should only output if a CV or bank or scale changes. But if you nonetheless get flooded with messages, maybe easier to deal with if you put a clock into the trigger inputs so it only samples every few seconds instead of continuously.

2 Likes

for testing i used 0V CV coming from the sequencer to Quantizer 1 in CVin1
nothing in CVin2 and attenuator pot to 0

and after the same thing for quantizer 2

Nothing change when i change scale or bank
CV2 pot works fine 0 to 5 V , test made with this pot at 0V

seems good

A3 0V

witch pin plz ?

now in the same situation i have 0V on A1 and 0.26V on A0 ??

just before it was inverted ?

If you have 0 V coming from the sequencer, why do you not have 0 V on pin A2?

If you have CV2 attenuator to 0 why do you not have 0 V on pin A1?

Well, that’s bad.

From datasheet:

14 and 10.

With 0 V from sequencer and both CV2 attenuators turned down you should have 0 V on all four pins. Also with 0 V from sequencer you should have same results as if nothing is plugged in (since CV1 is normalled to ground).

i check the DAC in the same situation (0V in CVin1, CV2 pot at zero …) and i have 0.98V on pin 14 and 0V on pin 10

What position for the jumpers on the output headers?

it’s on 10V
(blah blah …more trucs…)

With 0 V on pin 10 you should have 0 V on CV OUT for quantizer 2. If not there’s definitely a hardware problem after the DAC.

thx Rich, i go to re re re …check

but that’s very strange to have 0.26V and 0.58V on arduino pin with 0V CVin …

Yes it is. You should have the same value at the sequencer output jack, the cord plug, the quantizer input jack, the dac/ino CV IN A (or C) pin, and the Arduino A0 (or A2) pin. Check all those places, see where it differs.

1 Like

one thing that’s make me become crazy, about CV1.1 CV2.1 …
the 2 is for CV or Quantizer, the first number or the second ??..

For Quantizer A & Quantizer B :

or

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

CVx.y = Control voltage x for quantizer y.

Quantizer CV Arduino pin
1 1 A0
1 2 A1
2 1 A2
2 2 A3

yes I was wrong in the numbers in my head but I have that in hardware :slight_smile: