AO Dual Quantizer

I have mine all together just been putting off the spaghetti

5 Likes

Looks like my inability to read documentation is not exclusive to work.

1 Like

But that’s the fun part!

giphy

3 Likes

Appart my mishappening with the arduino headers, I’m also out of 1N5817…
So this evening will be a Tayda evening as I’m running low on jacks, 10uF, 10 pin power-headers, etc…
Looking thru all the “I want this module” to see what unusual components they use, and stuff like that.

1 Like

So now a question…
The positivizer divides the input range by two…
So if we input a 1V/Oct signal, we get an 0.5V/Oct signal at the output, right ?
Don’t we have to take care for that on the Quantizer ?

The quantizer is designed to map 1 V/oct inputs to 1 V/oct outputs. If for instance you take a keyboard CV and run it through the positivizer it’ll turn it into 0.5 V/oct and the quantizer output will be … interesting. And not very useful. The positivizer is a kludge I designed to use with things like ±5 V LFOs or the Sloth Chaos or other such CV sources which aren’t inherently V/oct. Not for keyboard CV or MIDI2CV outputs.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks.

So I will put a pozitiiver on only one of the two quantizers of the module…
Or maybe build a second one, I have the PCB, panel and most components anyway ?
Or just a simple module like you did…
Or change the arduino code…
I’ll have 2 or 3 weeks to think about it while I wait for my Tayda order to arrive.

And the missing components finally put an end to my building and “forces” me to test and debug and calibrate the almost 20 modules I already have built…

2 Likes

I had calibrated the Quantizer before the modification, I just tested again with the voltmeter and I have 2.57V on Output when nothing is connected to the CV input ? :unamused:

The problem with ±5 V inputs mapped to ±5 V outputs is that the quantizer code at present (adapted from another source) just stores 5 octaves’ worth of each scale instead of storing 1 octave worth and then adding octaves. If you try to change that to store 10 octaves’ worth then you can only store half as many scales.

I hope someday to come up with a dac/ino redesign that among other improvements will allow for ±5 V inputs (or 0–+5 or 0–+10, user selectable), along with rewriting the quantizer code to store only one octave of each scale. I have a lot of other things I want to do first, though!

I’ll see what I’ll do…
Maybe building a second Quantizer, one with and one without the positivizer, is the simplest short term solution.
And when I’m tired with hardware, jump to the software side.
I have already some other software projects in the pipeline, mainly seeing what that raspi pico has in its guts…

Is this “positivizer” nessisary?

That’s about right. -5 V in becomes 0 V at the Arduino, +5 V becomes +5 V, and 0 V becomes +2.5 V.

It halves the incoming voltage and adds 2.5 V.

1 Like

Nope.

Only if you want to quantize CVs that can go negative.

1 Like

LOL , thanks needed that laugh :grin:

2 Likes

So it’s a Dual Quantizer, I’ll go to choose to put a Positivizer on only one of them (a TL071 would have been enough)

maybe the best will be to add 2 switch DPDT on the pannel to bypass the Positivizer when you want, but my pannel is allready very full.

I am currently taking a stab at building this.

Can anyone tell me the value of the electrolytic cap to the left of the 14 pin IC?

1 Like
3 Likes

Thank ya very much! Hopefully I’ll get it finished up and test next week.

3 Likes

I should build mine too.

4 Likes

Question. If I ground the audio jacks, do I need to run the ground wire from the molex connector to the jack? Or can I just skip it?