2370 Spring Spring Crunchy Spring Spring

Here is an example of how it sounds:

12 Likes

I noticed the BOM calls for C3 and C4 to be ā€œ100nā€ caps, and then line 5 calls for 8 more ā€œ100nfā€ caps.

is that just typo and I need ten, ā€œone hundred nano farad capacitorsā€ or am I missing something?

3 Likes

I used 100nf caps for both. It seems to work fine. It is confusing, as they also have different square silkscreen symbols. They have the same lead spacing, though.

2 Likes

So a 10ohm input impedance is working well?

Seems fine to me, but I have no reference for comparison to something else.

1 Like

Once I get my boards in and build done I have a variety of Tanks in stock Iā€™ll audition. Since the send impedance is set at 4.7k itā€™s a curiosity. Tanks range from 8 to 1.8k ohms input impedance. The guitar amps are VERY picky about which tank, perhaps this puppy is less picky in general.

1 Like

How do you know if you are using a less than ideal tank? Is it just bad sound?

1 Like

Nice one !! And really good looking kosmo !

2 Likes

Would be interesting to hear it with some other input sounds.

1 Like

What do you want to hear?

started the build last night ( before the quad LFO ) bagged a tank on ebay for Ā£15

1 Like

In guitar amps itā€™s rather obvious: weak reverb return levels, ā€œfuzzinessā€ in reverb - input distortion, just doesnā€™t work, thin sound or muddy sound. Those amps that use tube circuits and a transformer versus op-amp based reverb send/return circuits require different Impedances at the tank. Even with the amp circuits there may be a couple of variations that work. The question then becomes a matter of taste.
Personally I like the big, deep, swampy reverb sound. A type 9 tank is generally my go-to. I am curious about using the Accutronics AMC2BF 2-Spring mini-tank as an option but not sure of the character of it.

2 Likes

That is why I went for the type 9 tank. I wanted the biggest, funkiest reverb I could get. I just got the in/out impedance that was available, and hoped for the best. Seems fine to my untrained ears.

I do look forward to your tests with different tanks.

3 Likes

Iā€™m curious about the differences in the input impedance and how the module reacts to it. It may not be that much of a difference, and the 10 ohms (like the tank you have) might sound warmer. That would be my preference.

I have five or six tanks around to mess with: Accutronics, MOD mostly destined for Fender, Marshall ampsā€¦ and perhaps one for this module.

1 Like

Actuallyā€¦ the reverb Send and Return circuits are VERRRRY similar to the Fender Princeton_65

With that in mind: Fender used a 8EB2C1B tank with an 800ohm input
I have one so Iā€™ll try it out!

2 Likes

Snares! 20000000000000

1 Like

Yes something brief like snare, with silence between the sounds :slight_smile:

All Electronics in Oxnard, Ca sells them too by the piece, same exact style. MFOS used those for his reverb tank projects

trobert is very close to mty real name , just a notice of ah ah wow whee

1 Like

Yeah, the LM13700 is available from various Chinese sources on eBay only in DIP format. I bought about 10 from some source there. Counterfeits? So far they seem to function in all various projects Iā€™ve used them in.

Iā€™ll have to look into that Pulse wave thing you mention here now that I have a build on my bench.