2 Pots to control 6 AR generators?

Hey guys! I just wanted to make a project and started making schematics but I noticed a problem. It’s like I want to control many Attack/Release modules but all of them with two potentiometers. I don’t really know how to explain so I joined a pic to this topic! Thanks to pay me attention :blush:

Every AR modules have the same attack and release time:
paint

1 Like

Not entirely sure what the question is, but your idea will work just fine if the generators are voltage controlled, but not if the potentiometer is part of the timing circuit (like in Sam’s simple envelope generator).

3 Likes

Yeah I wanted to use the Sam’s one but because it’s part of the circuit then I can’t do what I want to do or else it would mess up I think.

So no it’s not voltage controlled

1 Like

Seems like what you need is just a buffered multiple so you can split the signal to several destinations. If the generators are all doing the same thing, there’s no need to have several.

3 Likes

That assumes the OP wants to trigger them all at the same time, though, and not just using the same envelope when triggered.

5 Likes

You can use multi-gang potentiometer like that : image

Or build one yourself with belts or gears (that would look awesome !)
Or maybe use sliders connected together, this would be easier.

6 Likes

Yeah I was going to buffer the pots signal but if you noticed, the Sam’s AR module doesn’t use pots as voltage controller so I can’t buffer it.
Thanks!

1 Like

No it’s like, they will not be trigger at the same time else I would just use one module

2 Likes

Yeees I thought about this! I think that’s the only thing I can do with the circuit I’m using! I’m going to work on that
Thanks ^^

3 Likes

Of course you could use a voltage controlled envelope generator. The ones I see online are all ADSR and most are considerably more involved than the simple AR. But there are the ones that use an Electric Druid chip as in Sam’s #1157 or the simplified version thereof. There are very few components other than the chip (and could be fewer for an AR version). That would seem the simplest way to go, though the chip’s not that cheap and may take a while for delivery. But the one and only 6 gang pot in stock at Mouser is only 20k, and a quick Google search doesn’t turn up anything higher elsewhere.

4 Likes

Yeah I saw that one on mouser!
You’re right the best thing to do should be using a voltage controlled ADSR with buffer for each module I guess
The chip on electric druid is 5£ so yeah kinda expensive sadly
Thanks ^^

2 Likes