1222 Tuner VCO Module

ok great! I will when I have a spare moment think of a couple of different resistors over the pulse width circuit which limits the throw of the knob like I other designs for people who would rather the lack of the drift right at the extremes. coolio! glad its like mine, hardly a noticeable thing, especially when in a bank of oscillators. and right at the extreme. all good! glad its coming together!@

1 Like

I looked at the schematic for some inspiration on how to program my peak meter in my mixer to also be a tuner on the cue bus. A question about the schematic: Isn’t the 3340 ramp output 0-10 V and the maximum on the analog input pin on the Arduino 5V?

1 Like

Hi Sam
Are these the right ones?
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/review/product/list/id/3048/category/98/

They are sold out at Rapid, I assume u bought them al :wink:

2 Likes

yep they look right!

1 Like

3340 ramp out is 0-8 V with a ±12 V supply (2×Vcc/3). The waveforms in the datasheet are for ±15 V supplies.

1 Like

Ah, OK. But still more than 5V to the Arduino.

1 Like

The AVR chips have clamping diodes on all inputs, which keep the voltages between −0.5 V to Vcc + 0.5 V, so as long as you don’t fry the diodes, the chip will survive higher input voltages (there’s an Atmel appnote that shows how to detect zero crossings in 240 V AC with two 1M resistors and nothing else).

2 Likes

Ok, thank you didn’t know that.

1 Like

Went looking at the schematics, and it looks like ramp out is connected via a 1k resistor, which seems a bit low – iirc the appnote recommended keeping the current through the diodes below 1 mA. I’d try maybe a 4.7k instead.

2 Likes

10k/47k - WTF DOES THIS MEAN??? -_-

Just got to this resistor in the build
 anyone have an answer?
I read above a little bit but idk wtf

3 Likes

The different resistor values are recommendations for the two different versions of the 3340 chip. Try both and decide which works for you.

3 Likes

From Sam’s web page:
“You’ll notice as per the Datasheet the AS3340 and the CEM3340 require different pull down resistors for the square output. ILL LET YOU INTO A LITTLE SECRET. it doesn’t make a difference. infact in all the ones i have build i just split the difference and put a 20k in place of the 47/10k, and for all intended purposes its fine, its your life don’t be scared by naysayers and pedantic’s on the internet.”

6 Likes

Oh sweet. Ty :slight_smile:

Long story
 but this is what I’m workin with
 lol

AS3340

2 Likes

The 10k/47k resistor is a pulldown for the pulse output (pin 4), which is an NPN open emitter, i.e. a transistor with the collector connected to +V and the emitter connected directly to the output. The transistor pulls the signal up when on, and leaves it floating when off (which is why you want the pulldown).

The AS3340 data sheet suggests 51k, but the pin can source at least 2.8 mA so in theory you can go as low as ~3k without breaking things, but the pulse peak voltage will suffer. 20k is a pretty good choice if you want max signal, or you can go a bit higher.

3 Likes

Can confirm. I tried several values last time with fuck all difference. As Fred pointed out, it’s less about breaking things, and more about comparable signal output. In my exp however, even the two suggested values seemed to be putting the level of the pulse either higher or lower than the saw, but never as low output as the tri. It totally makes sense that the tri would be lower, but i mean, if one waveform is going to be way lower than them all, i just figure w/e works.

3 Likes

Yeah, pulse is +Vcc minus voltage drop over the output transistor (which depends on current, but is nominally +Vcc−1.5V), while triangle output is fixed at +Vcc/3 (so 4 V with a 12 V supply) and any non-trivial load will affect the tuning (so you really want a buffer on that one). Ramp/sawtooth is +Vcc×2/3 (8 V), with more internal buffering.

(there may be an argument for turning triangle or ramp into PWM outside the chip to make things more stable, cf the AS3340-HYB variant discussed here, but haven’t experimented with that);

5 Likes

Question about the Rotary Switch Wiring and placement of the shunt.

The 1 (no hole) 2 (1st hole) 3 (2nd hole) 4 (3rd hole) 5 (4th hole) - so would the shunt go in spot 4 (3rd hole) or spot 5 (4th hole)

And for the Wiring -
I am getting a little confused because I was just watching the build Video and the silk screen on the board shows -

GND (1st pin) 1V (2nd pin) 2V (3rd pin) 3V (4th pin) 4V (5th pin) Arrow/Central (Center Pin)

I put the wires in before watching the video thinking that GND should be a black wire, lol.

So, is this the correct way to wire this -

Thanks all.

1 Like

well shit

so i figured the wiring out

went to pop her on for the first time and fried the TL074

and likely the arduino.

Pulled the IC’s and tested what like I should have in the first place and well
 a bunch of my pins are spitting out 24v
 and I am absolutely perplexed.

:frowning:

1 Like

Did you accidentally plug the power into the “link” port? (same connector, wrong port) That would feed +12V into GND and −12V into ramp out (which is connected to a TL074 output).

EDIT: Oh, didn’t see the video. Yeah, looks like you powered the wrong thing :frowning: No idea what happens on the power pins if you run voltage backwards through a TL074, but with a little luck you only fried that one (U1).

2 Likes

holy fuck. LMAO yes. I did.

I believe i fried the arduino, but not positive - the TL074 was shot lol.

It is getting proper voltages but when i powered it up, the arduino light was red and the front leds and the tuner screen turned on then turned off.

So not really sure, gonna try another arduino i think (and TL074 lol)

*** update:
Video update :
Now here’s the issue
Blinky blinky scramble screen everything go bye bye. Lol

1 Like