1157 MINI ADSR Module

lol nah. a few moments later i made magic smoke.
I had thought that i had inverted my power header. NOPE!

POP STINKO

Im just over it and will try again later. Thankfully the ADSR chip was untouched, could just make a strip-board version. Prolly will just buy another since this module is not expensive really. All the more pricy bits like the knobs and jacks are not a problem so i just need to spend another 30 bux maybe.

2 Likes

So todayā€™s Obligatory Dumb Questionā€¦

ā€¦ connecting the 2-pin Molex to the jacks - which ā€œpinā€ from the Molex goes to which tab on the jack?

Iā€™m using these from RapidOnline: https://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect-3-pole-box-style-jack-socket-20-1397

1 Like

sorry i made mine on stripboard with schem.

MINI+ADSR+BACK

but if i look on this picture i suppose that the black wire is for sleeve and the yellow one for the tip (so all the ground at down)

after test your jack socket with a multimeter or a pilot light and a jack to be shure

3 Likes

I always find it confusing to look at jack pinouts trying to figure out if theyā€™re seen from top or bottom etc., but a photo maybe is clearer:

The sleeve pin should connect to the PCB ground (which you can identify by continuity test with a multimeter if itā€™s not labeled or otherwise obvious).

5 Likes

I run into this all the time because I go right to 3.5 mm sockets . looking at schematics and following the traces / looking at board will pretty much show which is ground and which is the lead . and there are socket layouts on the manufactures sites .

2 Likes

Many thanks for the tips - thatā€™s enough info to work it out!

cheers!

2 Likes

Anyone here experiencing high frequency hiss at the output? It took a while to notice that, but as i did some of them on manufactured PCBs aswell i can say itĀ“s not about grounding issues or faulty parts.
IĀ“ve been using TomĀ“s Eurorack output circuit as described with additional output indicator, but iĀ“m having significant high frequencies stuff going on there, especially when using with shorter times about midrange of decay and release. IĀ“m using a simple Doepfer VCA and in comparisson none of my other ADSRs is doin the hiss ā€¦ You guys experiencing this aswell or you think itĀ“s because of the additional LED indicators?

i have no problem with mine

Somehow i canĀ“t believe this! :thinking:
Are you realy sure?

When using harsh sounds itĀ“s not realy noticable, i noticed this while using a clean sine wave to create a kick drum. IĀ“ve tried several situations now. Output simply goes to VCA and iĀ“m using a very low tringle frequency without frequency modulation. Same patch with other ADSRs sounds clean ā€¦ The hiss is getting more noticable with sine waves and lower frequencies ā€¦ It sounds like a kind of soft sample rate reduction.

I somehow have to point out if itĀ“s about my schematic or the chip itself. It would be strange that nobody else noticed this, but who knows ā€¦ IĀ“m pretty sure itĀ“s not about the LED stage as iĀ“m using it on audio outputs aswell without issues. Powering is by a 78l05 with proper filtering as Tom did. I got proper ground planes, iĀ“ve swapped patch wires, iĀ“ve tried several VCOs and ADSRs, iĀ“ve tried different PSUĀ“s ā€¦

Is there a chance a PIC (or this) is creating high frequenies even itĀ“s not capaple of?
Do i hear the 31kHz even after RC filtering?

maybe test to change the placement of modules, this solved a slight parasite problem for me.

2 Likes

Nope,

3 different cases, 3 different PSUs, 5 different module builts, several module positions ā€¦

sad and strange :grimacing:

2 Likes

awe man those type of problems are a bugger. maybe try adding one piece at a time and see when it starts or the opposite take away a component at a time and see what happens ?

1 Like

a phase problem ? between several PSU, have you test the phase of your PSU.
Phase reversal between different power supplies can also produce noise.

If happening with different cases and supply Iā€™d look for local interference; lights, transformers, etc.

4 Likes

it pops out that my circuitry seems to be ok. iĀ“ve been trying several different situations and powering methods to make sure itĀ“s not about any outa influence. As none of my modules is doin any strange humm or noise thing iĀ“m pretty sure the module works fine. But sure, iĀ“m not an universal knowledge monster. After many years of mastering and a proper audio education i simply trust my ears.

Since beginning of my journey with Druid-Chips iĀ“m in contact with Tom whoĀ“s been very helpful, quick and detailed in every aspect.

itĀ“s simply the 8 bit resolution i hear and some of you havenĀ“t recognized yet ā€¦
for my definition this results in a very thin amplitude modulation on top of the frequency range while stepping through the bits, what sounds like a very light sample rate reduction what some of you should know from bitcrushers or low quality MP3s ā€¦

iĀ“ve been comparing with another digital envelope from mutable instruments. ā€œPeaksā€ with a resolution of 16 bits. With diving very deep into modulated sinusoidal waves i can hear the same behavior. Much softer, but noticable ā€¦

Tom adviced me to do some more smoothing at the output what iĀ“d like to share with you (referring to my output circuit before), maybe someone else runs into the same conflict like me. IĀ“ve been trying this, but this is the moment when i realised (again), ā€œDonĀ“t waste your time with Lo-Fi digital components when building your own dream synthā€ :grimacing:. Maybe iĀ“m still totally wrong, but my ears donĀ“t lie ā€¦

This module sucked a lot of time and revisions to reach the final stage. As itĀ“s SMT now i must keep it in this state. In fact itĀ“s TomĀ“s circuit with simpler CV ins.
IĀ“m having some on stock and it will get its place in my racks, but this forced me to dive into analog envelopes.
I must state iĀ“m ā€œbitā€ disappointed after all my effort, but itĀ“s not about ranting! Tom is doin a marvelous job and is sharing a wonderful knowledge base.
You can find the module on ecolabaudio.de with some fancy transparent LED output indication and Tom got one as christmas present aswell.

" I would guess that what youā€™re hearing is caused by the little tiny steps in the digital output waveform. Ordinarily, youā€™d never notice them (youā€™re right - no-one else has ever mentioned it) but thereā€™s usually some situation in which you can make the imperceptible perceptible. I think you might have found that situation.

Okā€¦so assuming thatā€™s right, or close, what can you do about it?

Hiss could probably be reduced by cutting the R32 value from 100K to 10K instead. That then affects the RC roll-off value, so that would need to go up to 470p instead to keep the cutoff the same.
However, if the steps are whatā€™s causing the problem, perhaps we should do more smoothing. How much? Well, what do we get with 10K/470p?

electricdruid.net/rc-filter-calc/?f=&r=10k&r_series=3&r_errors=1&c=470p&c_series=1&c_error=10

This shows that the rolloff kicks in at 33KHz, allowing full audio bandwidth. But weā€™re not passing audio, and the sample rate is 31.25KHz, so weā€™re not getting any effective reduction of the sample rate noise by the filtering. The rise time numbers are perhaps more important for us, since we donā€™t want our shortest attacks to get slowed down by the filter. The transient response is usually regarded as five time constants, and the 5TC column shows that the cap will charge completely in 25usecs - far quicker than we need. Assume our shortest attack is 0.5msec=500usec. So we can increase the cap by a factor of about 20 (500/25=20).
That gives us 470p x 20 = 10n.

So my advice is to change the resistor to 10K, and increase the cap to 10n (or 4n7 if thatā€™s too much) and see what happens. 10n gives a filter freq of 1.6KHz, and 4n7 gives 3.4KHz, so in both cases the digital steps at 31.25KHz should have a lot more attenuation".

6 Likes

LOL now I remember what I bought those DAC break out boards for , the ribbon controller . just happen to come across in this thread while I was looking for info on trouble shootin my mini ADSR 's .

3 Likes

So, Iā€™m still unable to use this with a gate. I am able to loop, and use the top switch to trigger the gate, but the GATE in does not seem to want to work. using ON ON switch on top, I forget if thats a no no. I remember this build needed the momentary on for the strobe, but i thought that wasnt a necessity.

1 Like

by gate what you mean? just trying to figure out what isnā€™t working.

yeah the momentary switch was to trigger the envelope, and then on latching upwards it would gate

by gate do you mean it holds on for as long as required? if so turn the sustain to max.

let us know! im not sure what you mean. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hey sam, i mean im sending a gate from a Keystep pro that is a 5v to trigger the envelope.

Ill unscrew and take pics if you feel this is more of a soldering error, wasnt sure if perhaps i was being a dunderhead and was just using it wrong.

Ok so I hooked up my scopeā€™s probes to the jack terminals i have wired up (before it reaches the board). The voltage dips to -5v and goes to gnd. I am sure i hooked up the probes correctly (at least from what i wired it). So this might be a case of the logic levels needed to engage it are too low. What i need to check first is that i soldered the wires to the correct pins of the jack. That would explain the inversion i am seeing in the scope the best, since having the probes reversed would do that.

1 Like