Working on a Minidexed modular conversion

I have it partially working now and (hopefully) fully wired up. Getting MIDI in to the Arduino gave me trouble, but it’s solved now.

The wiring job isn’t for the faint of heart, so once I get it to work, depending on interest, I’m thinking of doing a revision 2 of the PCB as follows:

• Logic board the same as what I already have but with a different layout
  • I/O Board for Eurorack with jacks, buttons, rotary encoder, and LEDs. Maybe also MIDI DIN (not sure if there exists PCB-mount DIN 5 the size of PJ301M jacks)
  • Faceplate as PCB

Only using the logic board would be mandatory if you’re not afraid of a big wiring job, so it’s still Kosmo compatible.

7 Likes

And here’s a video demo:

Icky youtube link with ads instead:

3 Likes

That was a hard one to crack, but @diyelectromusic had documented doing something a bit similar:

I added to the MiniDexed a minimal facility to display messages from MIDI Sysex, so I can send text messages from the Arduino, creating the illusion of a single cohesive device for the end-user. As soon as you use thee big rotary encoder, the MiniDexed takes over the display again.

218756a4ede999fe21457d1079e561d6eb1e933939bfe5af31c740f398ac7162

This is gonna make everything easier to develop from now on.

5 Likes

This looks incredible!

Iam in awe of your ability to pull off something like this!

Im totally out of date with digital stuff, still using 4000B chips and discrete parts, last programming I did was on a commodore 64 to utilise the SID chip, then a bit on commodore amiga, I made a simple phase distortion synth.

There is so much incredible and reasonably inexpensive hardware available now, I wouldnt know where to begin.

2 Likes