WIKI: How to make a DIY MIDI controller easily

Yessssss! That is great to hear.

1 Like

the MCP23017 really come in handy when working with things like these eswitches, real pin-eaters.

6 Likes

Hey This is great. I have also been building a MIDI controller. Mine looks just like a module in my rack so I can control some VST instruments, & effects and things from my modular (and even other things using a software interface like MIDI Mixer - Control Windows volumes (and more) with MIDI (midi-mixer.com) , to control things on my PC when I want to like master volume, global mute, and even screen brightness when I want.

Anyways, I used a RPI Pico which uses the TinyUSB library to show up as a usb midi device. I wrote the code in C used in the pico SDK and learning from a number of other Github code.

Here is code: AKS2346/midicon: Midi controller in C for Raspberry Pi Pico (github.com)

Also here are some pics of it in my rack. Its the ‘sideways’ looking one on the far right. Note there is gap below it as I await some more panels so I can put it into a matching panel evenutally.

The build is very very easy. (note I am using MIAW’s prototype boards and a CD4051 MUX to attach more pots into one ADC). Using more muxes would easily be able to have 18 pots and/or buttons without much change to the code.

I would be happy to learn from anyone who has better ways of doing things and/or work with anyone who wants to use this code and build one themselves.

• AKS
5 Likes

The ShedSynth Wind Instrument is a MIDI controller played like a saxophone.

This prototype is designed for experimentation (unenclosed construction, easy to dismantle and modify, access to circuit board, patchable connections) while remaining playable as an instrument, not a tangle of breadboards lying spatchcocked on a workbench. A neater job in a proper case might follow later, but don’t hold your breath.

7 Likes

Interesting! Thanks.

The only “wind controller” I’ve ever played was a Casio DH-100 Digital Horn back in the day. But I’ve seen a number of designs, DIY and commercial, and one thing bugs me about a lot of them, including this one: Touch sensitive “keys”. As I said, I’ve never played any of these, but I know when I play clarinet my fingers do not always hover cleanly away from each key until it needs to be closed; sometimes they may be resting though not pressing on a key. Maybe that’s just bad technique, but it’s what I do. So I worry a design like this would be very annoying for me to try to play and I feel like conventional switch based keys (like on the DH-100) would work better for me. Any thoughts?

That’s supposed to be good woodwind technique, to keep your fingers close to the keys - I’m not that disciplined on sax.
Maybe some tactile switches would work better for you? Or would the clickiness be a problem?

1 Like

Another couple of electronic wind things:

https://gonzos.net/projects/midi-wind-controller-building-my-own/

The latter’s I guess not a controller: It runs Fluidsynth onboard and there’s no mention of MIDI. It does use mechanical keys.

3 Likes

Wanted to pop in and say a huge thankyou for this - watching the Rebirth controller vid + reading this got me past the hurdles I had to make a DIY controller - and am now playing with a prototype one for my 4 yr old daughter to use - complete with 3d printed animal knobs and such - the 3D printer is a godsend for knobs and perfectly “drilled and cut” front panels :upside_down_face: - the final product will be laid out in a more fun way but this proves the concept at least - thanks so much! Very happy to share ideas also if people want to.

7 Likes