From toy to drum machine!

The executor effects key chain is a frequently used toy for circuit bending ! But I have this sickness where i want to add a midi port to everything…

I added some 2n222 resistors to every button so i can control those buttons with a micro controller. And i used a LDR and led combo to control the pitch with that micro controller.

In this video i explain a bit more on what I did so far!

The next step would be to solder all of the electronic onto a prototyping board and add physical midi port instead of the USB midi i used till now. After that i will design and 3D print a sexy case for this instrument.

ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
Feel free to leave a message here if you are thinking of a fun or weird design!

8 Likes

Repeat for each transistor: I think it is wise to add a series resistor of say 1kOhm between the teensy output and the transistor base.

2 Likes

Cool thanks for the advice! You have a great eye for that :wink: i was just testing it fast.

2 Likes

I see you decided to go for an arduino. I would have done the same because a teensy is relatively expensive and much more powerful, so that would have been a bit of a waste.

Gaah, the narrow spacing TO-92 footprints! I used those once or twice and then said never again…

And @fredrik will look askance at that 6N138…

1 Like

Yes i really like those arduino’s! At first the teensy had some advantages, but i didn’t made use of those any more. Thats why i just use the cheaper option.

I was testing to use one of those analog output on the teensy but i din’t used it in the final experiments

Naming a midi usb device is very easy with the teensy library’s its doable with a 32u4 type arduino like the pro micro in the picture but a bit of a hassle to be onest. Those teensy midi librarys are really epic! And very nice for some fast experiments.

The usb Midi and midi port are now working with this arduino.

Hehe living on the edge!

Thanks for that topic!

I guess I didn’t know the Arduino Pro Micro was USB host capable. I know the Nano isn’t. Interesting.

The SparkFun version isn’t that much less than a Teensy, but yours obviously is from another source… got a link?

Pro Micro clones are ~$4 on aliexpress and ebay. Haven’t tested any (I’m a Nano person), so no idea about quality.

i buy them from aliexpress just don’t buy the blue ones with a micro usb because most of the time they use a usb smd part instead of true hole part. because those USB micro things break without any force.

The ones that i recommend are these:
Choose the one with the usb B mini!

Or if you want a pro micro with a tougher usb micro that isn’t just a smd part i some times choose these

1 Like

I’ve finished it! YEEEHAAA :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Great work! Oh hey, video comments say

but Chrome says

LOL no 404

… ah, I see, there’s some non printing characters in the URL.

3 Likes

Thank you! thank you for noticing that! I’ve changed it immediately.

3 Likes