Verified Stripboard Layouts!

Hello handymen;

So I just finished this circuit (https://canada1.discourse-cdn.com/free1/uploads/lookmumnocomputer/original/2X/2/2c0a7035e7d41f9f7dc41364512ee752f6685983.jpeg) which comes from @Doolang.

The circuit is really simple and I thought that for once I would be able to make a module that works the first time. It was wrong:( When I plugged it in to test it, it made some sound but something that didn’t really look like what you can hear in the @Doolang video ! The sound is like when you don’t hear any radio…like a noise. The good thing is that it does trigger something and the length of the delay does change when I change the value of the potentiometer.

In fact I had a problem and maybe that’s where I made my mistake:
In the shema it says that if you want a HiHat or Snare it’s not the same value for capacitors.
-For a HiHat it is one of 0.68nF and one of 1nF.
-For a Snare it is one of 5nf and one of 100nF.
As I didn’t have a 0.68nF capacitor I built the Snare’s but as I didn’t have a 5nF capacitor either so I put two 2.2nF capacitors in series telling me I would get about 5nF (I found this after a very short search: image ). I test with my multimeter: not all 5nF :frowning:

Anyway I tested the circuit with several different capacities but I always get the same thing so if someone has already done it and could help me I don’t say no!!!

Thanks for your help!
Sorry for my English, I use what they teach me in high school and of Deep.L :wink:
Enoha Roubaud

2 Likes

Look at that formula; it’s not C = C1 + C2. Capacitors add in parallel, not in series. If you want a 4.4nF capacitor you need two 2.2nF in parallel.

7 Likes

This module seems to work, its aim is to produce a white noise like the noise between radio stations (as you say), and then it is triggered very briefly to obtain the sound of Hit or snare
so with a trigger signal
With what do you trigger it ?

EDIT : best english traduction (thx @Bitnik)

3 Likes

I know you like to know when your English is confusing. This one puzzled me for a bit.

The English idiom for this is “like radio static.” More literally we’d say “like the noise between radio stations.”

4 Likes

I read it fine, but my mind is no benchmark =D
He was referring to Eno’s phrasing

4 Likes

oh sorry I’m an idiot I didn’t pay attention and I put the wrong image on it :expressionless:
I put two 2.2nF capacitors in parallel and not in series :slight_smile:
it corresponds to this one: image

3 Likes

oh ok I must admit I’m a little disappointed with the result :confused:
I use the gate output of my keyboard

ok thanks for the advice :wink:

Test to try it with a square LFO, a square wave very slow or a clock signal, you need a very briefly signal to have this result

2 Likes

Got the TR808 snare built, sounds good. I added an LED to show the trigger.

15 Likes

Nice job very cool. I’ve wanted to build it for a long time, but I wasn’t sure, it definitely makes it very high on my to-do list

3 Likes

Simple line amplifier x4, verified here: https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/simple-amplifier-circuit-to-boost-a-weak-line-level-signal/13063/37

5 Likes

I’m curious. I notice a lot of complaints about low triangle signals - would this be just the ticket?

maybe it will be better if this thread, like @Doolang created and said

are members of this forum verification by build.

1 Like

Here’s my version of the TWIN T Kick Drum stripboard

see here (pics and sound) :slight_smile:

schematic

EDIT : i put the stripboard version with Attack switch :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Sounds good, and I have everything I would need to make it already.

2 Likes

Just a little thing to know, the Decay increase and decrease also a little the Tune. It’s not me because it make the same thing in this vid
but I find that it is a good simple and effective module.
coupled with my Bass Drum ++, like it !

2 Likes

An oscillator:

I built this for my workbench, hence the pin sockets for power and outputs, but it could be adapted for synth use. Circuit is the variable waveshape LFO by Kassutronics. I left out the sine shaper for simplicity and I socketed the integrator cap (C5) so I can switch frequency ranges easily — right now it’s 2.2 nF for audio frequency. “Shape” pot varies the width of the pulse output and varies the TRI/RAMP output from sawtooth to triangle to ramp.

10 Likes

Nice layout. What is the thin black line from pin 2 of the ic?

1 Like

A mistake which I just fixed.

5 Likes