Vangelis has died

A collaborator with fellow Greek giant Demis Roussos (Aphrodite’s Child), in the early seventies Vangelis was named by Yes as a possible successor to Rick Wakeman as their keyboard wizard. He plotted his own course and transcended both bands by becoming famous in his own right for his early adoption of electronic production techniques in film music. Everybody knows the theme from Chariots of Fire, even though few can reliably recall much about the two British Olympic athletes it celebrated. His 1970s works were adopted by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan for their revolutionary PBS/WGBH/NASA Cosmos documentary series, and his work on the 1982 film Blade Runner has come to define the dystopian future ethic, a modern development of film noir.

8 Likes

I suppose I should mention Vangelis’s collaborations with Yes lyricist/singer Jon Anderson under the title “Jon and Vangelis.” In particular, the second album “The Friends of Mr Cairo” was influential. Disco queen Donna Summer recorded a version of the track “State of Independence” produced by Quincey Jones, which some people like better than the original. I think it’s pretty good.

Donna:

Jon and Vangelis:

2 Likes

I know everyone’s time comes , but that is pretty sad .

4 Likes

It’s sad for those who knew and loved him. But for the rest of us, we have everything he did. He had an effect on our lives, which is the closest to immortality we get.

3 Likes

You ask me where to begin
Am I so lost in my sin?
You ask me where did I fall
I’ll say I cant tell you when
But if my spirit is lost
How will I find what is near
Don’t question I’m not alone
Somehow I’ll find my way home

My sun shall rise in the east
So shall my heart be at peace
And if you’re asking me when