TOOLS & MATERIALS we use

figured it would be good to list the different tools and materials somewhere all together for a reference .so list what you use , pros / cons maybe where you got the item and possibly alternatives .

3 Likes

For multimeters there’s this topic

5 Likes

And for scopes

5 Likes

CRIMPING TOOLS

I have found these to work well .
6 Likes

I have one of these , but admittedly I have very limited use with this unit but it seems ok and it fits in your pocket . and of course it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of a bench model.
3 Likes

There’s a thread for panel labelling and decorating techniques.

4 Likes

Old thread, but I wanted to share that my old skate tool works surprisingly well for Panel components! The fit is not perfect but a huge improvement from my previous practice of using pliers (and scratching the panels and hurting my fingers!) :slight_smile:

Processing: E08ACF85-7D3A-4713-9504-C1A8FF79B8E2.jpeg…

7 Likes

I came across these desoldering needles a while ago and have used them a few times since. They come in handy now and then and I thought you might like them.

6 Likes

Show me your weird test cables!

Here’s the one I use for dialing PSU’s:

Jack to banana made from an old guitar cable, useful for connecting modules to the scope and function generator (through a banana to BNC adaptor):

mini-USB to banana powers Arduinos from the benchtop PSU:

Also, here’s a breadboard fitted with extra power rails, Eurorack/Kosmo power connector and jack sockets (disregard other half-assed contents :slight_smile: ):

6 Likes

Made a few of these debugging plugs: nothing but a 1k resistor and a bipolar LED inside. Useful for quickly visualising output signals!

ezgif.com-gif-maker (4)

8 Likes

took a couple deep sockets out of the mechanics set , rapped gaffe tape around them for grip .
seem to be working great no slips no fuc**ed up face panels . though I will probably be bitching the next time I go to work on the car and can’t find the sockets I need .

7 Likes