This game is [not] obsolete

I’ve been tinkering with this idea of a gameboy game that takes place in the museum. It isn’t anything too special right now, but I thought I would share some progress.

The idea is just a simple adventure style game (glorified walking simulator) that can act as a sorta virtual tour of the place. So far, i only have the room with the megadrone started, but I feel this is something that can be a bit of fun to work on.

This is currently running on an emulator, but ill be able to test on the real deal once I get a flashable cart.

11 Likes

Awesome @Caustic :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Love it! How are you developing it?

1 Like

Very impressive!

post must be…

1 Like

GbStudio, Aseprite, Tiled, OpenMPT.

So far, I have not needed to extend GbStudio, it’s stock capabilities are enough. Its pretty fast to make a game like this, and helps constrain within limits of the GB’s capabilities. Already found many ways to go beyond some of the limits like # of actors on screen using actor switching and triggers to configure zones.

6 Likes

I will try and not make an update every time I have some changes, but I wanted to show more, so i can better illustrate the idea.

The small QR codes do work, but not as well as the zoomed in ones.

2 Likes

That’s really interesting! I was aware of GbStudio but hadn’t really looked at it properly (too many other things to think about, like everyone else here!). I’m going to have to change that…

2 Likes

Have you tried using datamatrix codes? They can go really tiny and still work.

1 Like

Oh I love GB Studio, its a whole lotta fun - I have been playing around with it since modding my original gameboys at the start of the year (IPS Screens, new hiss-free post pot internal amps, and pre-pot pro sound, along with a nice chunky USB C rechargable battery to make it run for days of play). Great work on the custom tiles.

Are you using v1 or v2?

3 Likes

Rockin v2beta. Been using GB Studio for about a week now, and yeah its pretty great. Thanks for the compliment.

1 Like

This is so rad. Great idea.

1 Like

What better way to do a virtual tour of a museum about oft repurposed [obsolete] tech than to use obsolete tech to do it!

2 Likes